Potterton Puma 80 - Pilot light extinguishes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, and I bow to all you knowledgeable ones! That is my grovel, now please help! :oops:

We have a tempramental combi here, it has had its now developed another fault, been and changed the thermocupular, the pilot thingy (long copper tube with pointy thing at end and something else? can't say I remember what? Now, the problem we are having is the pilot light lights, stays on for a day or two, three and sometimes four... though it is getting less and less then just goes out without help? Also the water temp is hot even when the gauge is down to half, temp seems too warm for the setting. But mostly its the pilot light going out after about 48 hours? Any help will be gratefully accepted. :eek: Cheers and thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the boiler ever on, with rads getting hotter and hotter, when it should be off, before pilot going out? If so, flow switch sticking.

Otherwise, it may just need a service.

HW knob only really adjusts between hot and very hot - though first fault would make water hotter.

ChrisR said:
Is the boiler ever on, with rads getting hotter and hotter, when it should be off, before pilot going out? If so, flow switch sticking.

Otherwise, it may just need a service.

HW knob only really adjusts between hot and very hot - though first fault would make water hotter.

Hi, thanks for the reply, yes i've noticed the bathroom rad warming up, though not hot, also the boiler is in the airing cupboard on the landing, (outside wall). the bathroom is on same level though isnt the nearest radiator, though saying that i dont know the direction of flow?

I do not exactly understand what is being asked here.

Any competent engineer will be able to diagnose the fault within 15 minutes.

Ther are only two things which will put the pilot off, lack of pilot illumination of the thermocouple or the overheat stat has operated.

I would expect the latter.

Something is therefore causing the o/h stat to trip. This will be an overtemperature situation.

It will be caused by a lack of temperature control.

The favourite is a sticking hot water demand swich. If it occurs after hot water demand then thats the prime suspect!

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Samandmitch we are both suggesting the same causes - you need to watch the boiler to see if it's on when it shouldn't be!

ChrisR said:
Samandmitch we are both suggesting the same causes - you need to watch the boiler to see if it's on when it shouldn't be!

Thanks guys, I'll at least know where to go forward now and call in an engineer, suggesting your suggestions.

You are dead right it does seem to go off after there has been hot water and the temp does seem to be excessive. The overheat stat was changed q couple of months prior to this problem, as was the thermocouple. Recently it seems like the potterton puma is becoming an endangered species and may need to be renewed, or with my symptoms do you think it is excessive.

Anyone know anybody in Luton area that can be recommended to assess, repair or renew with integrity

I take it its something I should not touch! Hmmm, believe....

Again thanks, and its amazing how easy it is with the knowledge.. And how it isn't without it!

Its a rather odd design but when a competent engineer has worked out how it operates its easy to work on.

We would charge about £90 inc to sort it out in the London area.

I can tell whats wrong with it from 30 miles away but some people cannot manage even when they are in front of it!

Tony

Agile said:
Its a rather odd design but when a competent engineer has worked out how it operates its easy to work on.

We would charge about £90 inc to sort it out in the London area.

I can tell whats wrong with it from 30 miles away but some people cannot manage even when they are in front of it!

Tony

Thanks Tony that's my problem, I did get a guy around a while ago and he didnt ooze confidence.... maybe a service and correct this problem would be worthy rather than replace. I dont think I mentioned but we are getting dark brown particles out of the hot water tap too? Dunno if this is relevant to the issue... oh well if you fancy a trip up to Jun 9 M1 let me know? [email protected]

seems like the potterton puma is becoming an endangered species and may need to be renewed, or with my symptoms do you think it is excessive.
No, millions of them still in place. Yours is just about the most common problem of the ones they have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back