potterton puma 80 tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help, i have a potterton puma 80 combination boiler, it is 4 years old. When the heating is on, it can run fine for a while, then make a hammering noise in the CH pipework, and trip the boiler. Once reset, it starts up again. I have bled the radiators, no unusual amount of air found. This can happen anytime day or night, when the CH is called for.
I have noticed that this happens more in the winter than summer. Also if the hot water is turned on while the central heating has been running, this will trip the boiler too. These faults are intermmitant, and doesnt occur constantly. Any suggestions will be greatful.

Sponsored Links
Could be air in the pump, have you bled that too? If it's intermittent, it sounds like air is still there.

IF air is getting in the system, it could be a leak, a function of the system design, or more likely it's not air at all, but hydrogen from corrosion. When did you last have corrosion inhibitor added?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back