Potterton Puma combi Boiler, lights are on but nobody home??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a combi boiler, and it seems to fire but does not heat the radiators or the water. It happened before and my husband had instructions and fixed it. It says locked out. Instructions are lost and we're cold! Any ideas?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry im a bit lost here.

U say it fires but has also locked out ? I assume u mean it fires THEN locks out, presumably u have pressed the reset button on the front ?

First of all look at the central heating pressure dial (underneath right hand side) should be set at 1- 1.5bar or thereabouts. Tap it a few times make sure its not stuck first and top up pressure if req'd.

One thing at a time on a friday night :LOL:

Next thiing. is it the model with the Pilot, (has a grey ignition button over on the left) and can you see the pilot light (which is pretty difficult at the best of times)?
Also check the Low Pressure light, on the front isn't on, or it won't go regardless of what the pressure is.

Good shout. Tho i couldnt remember if the perm pliot one had a lock out/reset function on it, presumably if there was sum kind of overheat prob the pilot would cut off ? I forget now.

Im off to find a pic of this boiler so i refresh my memory.

Sponsored Links
it fires then locks out i think the pressure is lower then one bar how do you top it up

If pressure's the problem there's a light on the front which would come on. Then it wouldn't fire. To fill, see faq section.

How long after it fires does it go out? Are the rads getting hot when they shouldn't be?
Does it provide hot water OK?

It sounds as if you have a model with no low pressure light.

If thats the case you still need to repressurise to about 1.5 Bar. See the FAQ section on this site.

Most likely then to be the DHW demand switch is stuck on or sticking on after DHW demand. Thats a common fault and you can read about two examples each week on this site.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back