Potterton Statesman boiler 10 years old not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Boiler doesn't stay alight so called in engineer who said it was the tank, too old etc., He drilled in the top and put in a pipe with a small round device that has a button on it, this is just before it goes into the wall on the outside. (temporary measure until l have a new tank).
I have bled the pipe on this inside and nothing was coming through, I also opened up the nut situated left at the bottom of the boiler to let any air out (suggestion by engineer over the phone), boiler still wouldn't stay alight so I investigated outside.
The amount of oil coming through after the round device with the button is very small, is this correct? Before this device the oil is flowing OK.
If the boiler goes off over night wouldn't I get a problem due to the fact that the oil is not being sucked through all the time and the pipe is coming out the top of the tank?
I hope this makes sense, my poor husband has been sucking the oil through by mouth Yuck!! HELP please!!

Sponsored Links
Hi hallega

As long as the tank holds oil, the on off valve is on, and works, and the filters at the tank and in the oil line are clean, i cant see it being a tank issue, what can possibly change on a tank that stops the boiler working, when it worked before on that same tank?( was he the one going to quote you on a new tank??) it sounds like he fitted a fire valve from what you say, although how that helps i don't know, unless he replaced a broken one, in which case he should then be able to get the boiler going again (Did he have a nice fresh green triangle on his van?) sorry ignore that bit.

Theres a few things that could be causing your troubles, including oil flow, the only advice i can give you is get someone else who hopefully has a bit more idea than previous chap. I take it he did make sure that the button was set correctly on the valve so oil could actually flow through it?

Is there any writing on the 'round thing' he fitted?
Are you saying he drilled the top of the tank and put this round thing in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back