Potterton Statesman Flowsure+ continously running

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I recently moved into a house that has a Potterton Statesman Flowsure+ oil fired boiler.

The boiler seems to switch on at all hours of the day and night, I have the controls set to timed, and the mechanical timer clock is working OK.
The room stat controller (Landis REV100) also has a timed control and this appears to be working OK.

When I switch on the boiler at the mains, the control relay energises straight away, I have found from the wiring diagram that the relay is controlled either from the flow switch or the tank stat.

I disconnected the tank stat and the relay does not energise, when I open a hot tap the relay energises and the boiler fires up.
The wiring diagram does show the tank stat as a normally closed device, but I cannot understand how the relay will not be energised at all times therefore operating the boiler continuously, any thoughts anyone?

Thanks Bryn

Sponsored Links
Hi, I too have one of these Boilers and although it's caused me untold grief this is not a problem you should be concerned about.

The Boiler has a built in hot water storage tank, with a capacity of I think about 60 Litres, therefore when you demand hot water the Boiler supplies it immediately and will carry on supplying for as long as your require... or in my boiler's case, until the pressure drops and it locks out!!

So don't worry about the boiler firing up it's only heating up the water in the tank and will stop when it's hot enough.
Or obviously until you run the heating or open a hot tap.

I'm not an expert by any means so if it doesn't stop at all turn it off and call your local engineer not Potterton because in my opinion they are sh*te.

Hope this helps

Steve

If you call someone local and tell them it is a Flowsure, you hear a sound like a jet engine, a cloud of dust and a dark spec disappearing into the distance. Combies generally are bad, Flowsure is the worst.

Thanks oilman, yes forgot to say. When you call the engineer tell him you don't know what model it is, then when he's in your house lock the doors and break the bad news to him over a cup of tea then he might stay and fix it!

Sponsored Links
Once the tank reaches temp the stat is open circuit!

Thanks for the responses, not too sure whether I like all of them relating to Potterton's quality range of boilers!

Although you say that the boiler is only heating up the tank, whilst the control relay is energised the circulating pump is also running, so my radiators are heating up, is there any way of regulating the temperature of the tank (during nightime/off periods) by decreasing any other controls or stats?

Bryn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back