Potterton Suprima 100 - resonating and poss Carbon Monoxide?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just wondered if anyone could advise? Our Suprima 100 is around 5 years old and I've repaired the PCB a few times (see other thread), and all has been fine for a further 2 years but now she's developed a whistling/resonating sound when the pump's running. I'm guessing its sludge build up in the exchanger but not sure?

Also, I have used those CO sensors and they have all gone dark over 2 months so have brushed out the burners to remove any debris, but again another one has darkened.

So wondering what else I should do?

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Lea

Sponsored Links
Call a CORGI engineer.

Boiler probably scaled/sludged up - but you should not be fiddling with the burners - you may now have damaged the ports.

if you get co registration from your boiler, you have damaged the integrity of the combustion chamber.
if a RGI finds that anywhere, it is considered so dangerous that it becomes a case of compulsory disconnection.
turn boiler off now, and call RGI to check, this is the kind of thing that kills poeple

Thanks for the advice.

I haven't 'fiddled' with the burners; I have merely used a soft brush to remove any debris. The system is serviceable as the burners are easily exposed.

if you get co registration from your boiler, you have damaged the integrity of the combustion chamber

I doubt I have caused this as registration is what made me expose them, however I take our advice on board and will call in someone suitable.

Thanks
Lea

Sponsored Links
those things change colour with heat so if its stuck on the boiler then...., get a proper CO detector with an audiable alarm.

The chances of CO inside the home from this boiler is remote but so is getting poisoned and it does happen so get it checked ASAP!

When you 'repaired' the PCB (illegally I might add if you arent an RGI) did you ensure the rubber gromets that seal the wires going into the combustion chamber are not brittle, loose, missing etc? I'd be heading to check these more than the combustion door which any biff can fit. seems logical that if these are missing fumes can leak.. get someone in who knows what they are doing.... and get a decent CO alarm..

The paper CO 'detectors' can go dark if people smoke in the room, too.

They're about as safe as touching an electric cable to see if it is live IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back