Potterton Suprima 50 Failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening (through chattering teeth). I've had intermittent lockouts on a 3 year old Suprima 50 recently until it finally died yesterday (constant red light). A new PCB has been fitted this evening (by a CORGI fitter) and appears to have lasted 25 minutes, during which time the boiler kept switching off (despite thermostat setting being well above room temperature) & on (every 3 minutes or so) with green light flashing when off. Now it's gone back to a constant red light & turning power off/on, temp control knob up/down, heating control on/off etc has no effect (I've followed the Potterton trouble shooting flow diagram, which leads to "replace Electronic Control": is this a reference to the PCB?).

Naturally I shall phone the fitter in the morning (if I survive the cold) but in the meantime does anyone have any suggestions what has happened? I was a little concerned that the fitter did no checks whatsoever after the first failure and just assumed it was the PCB. Should I insist on other checks given what has now happened? If so, what should they be?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
In his defence it's usually the pcb, but there are many other things it can be - fluff in the fan/airways, perhaps. Are you sure it was a new pcb?(yes,= control)

the gas valve can take the pcb out, he should check the resistances over the gas valve solenoids.could also be a loose conection somwhere.

Thanks for the advice. I was told it was a new PCB although they did say it was older stock i.e. not one of the upgraded ones which I understand Potterton have recently brought out.

Sponsored Links
So have I, if you mean a "short" gas valve solenoid popping the fusible resistors on the board. But it wouldn't have been intermittent, which is why I didn't mention it! A short pump can do similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back