Potterton Suprima 50

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a 1998 Potterton suprima 50 heat only boiler.
Please can you tell me what the output of this boiler is and what is best to replace it with for more energy efficiency.

I don't mind going to a system boiler or continuing with a heat only.

I have small water tank in the loft for the heating system and a tank in the airing cupboard and valve and heating pump next to the tank.

Thanks All in advance

Sponsored Links
That is a 15kw boiler, so you can replace it with the same output. Modern higher efficiency boilers will out perform your existing one. Providing you haven't extended the system, 15kw will be ok. Be guided by your installer regarding type. Converting from open vent is advisable. There are so many boilers available and I would stick to the mainstream makers.

You are unlikely to be able to make a proper financial case for replacing your small boiler just to increase the efficiency.

You will pay about £1700 for a good make and get only about 10% to 16% improvement in efficiency which is unlikely to be an adequate return on the cost of a new boiler.

Better to replace it when it fails. Usually a PCB failure on those.

Tony

You are unlikely to be able to make a proper financial case for replacing your small boiler just to increase the efficiency.

You will pay about £1700 for a good make and get only about 10% to 16% improvement in efficiency which is unlikely to be an adequate return on the cost of a new boiler.

Better to replace it when it fails. Usually a PCB failure on those.

Tony

Thanks Tony.

I feel that its worth while to change now whilst I refurbish the kitchen but I note your comments.

I think for a Vaillant EcoTec Plus 418 Open Vent Boiler will cost me £800 fitting should be a days labour at approx £200-£300 - this also comes with a 7yr warranty when using an accredited installer so it will save me £120 per year X 7 = £800 plus the gas savings it works our cost neutral for me.

Sponsored Links
I would be charging you about £740 for installation.

Might get the boiler a bit cheaper though.

Tony

Does boiler price inc flue? what about cost of other materials? is a gas upgrade needed? 7 year warranty is only valid if serviced every year say @£65 a service x 7=£455. not having a dig but you need to be a bit more realistic about the costs.

Does boiler price inc flue? what about cost of other materials? is a gas upgrade needed? 7 year warranty is only valid if serviced every year say @£65 a service x 7=£455. not having a dig but you need to be a bit more realistic about the costs.

Yes but in respect I would also be paying out £65 per year to also service my current older boiler.

Pipe from meter to boiler is 22mm and steps to 15mm 15" from the bottom of the boiler manifold.

A deliberate reply to an old thread because I think the time elapsed is relevant. It's now nearly 2020, and I still have a potterton suprema 50. It's on its third PCB, third fan and second gas valve. This discussion is..... I can get replacement PCBs for free (thanks to a gas engineer friend who removes and replaces working ones), I replaced the gas valve for £20, and brand new fan assemblies are £60. There's very little else to go wrong on these, so at which point will it ever be cost effective to replace?

Still have this one. The worst I needed to do with the boiler was to press reset 4 years ago.
In the meantime I replaced broken pump and 3 pos valve, got evohome controls. The boiler rock solid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back