Potterton Suprima 60 rads only heat when DHW on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My rads only heat when the hot water is on. On cold days when the hot water and rads have been on for an extended period the rads go cold. Running away some of the hot water restarts the sytem. Am I right in thinking this happens because the hot water reaches the thermostat temperature? My first thoughts were that the problem was with the motorised valves. I've had a look at them in the airing cupboard and there are two two port valves. A Honeywell one for the water and a myson one for the rads. When the rads are turned on either alone or in combination with the hot water the myson valve opens. It seems that this is not the problem. What I have noticed though is that the pump doesn't come on when just the rads are turned on. Has anybody got any ideas?

DubbleDonkey

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that the central heating motorised valve is not working correctly? If so surely the CH wouldn't work at all since there are two two port motorised valves?

As corgiman says its your heating valve that is faulty although it is opening there is a little cam inside that moves over and makes a micro-switch which brings the boiler and pump on yours either has a faulty micro-switch or the cam is not quite making it all the way over to activate switch... New head required if detachable or complete valve if not.

Sponsored Links
Great. Many thanks for that. The actuator sits on top of the valve so it should be straightforward to replace it. I'll first check that the valve is correctly wired up.

DubbleDonkey said:
Great. Many thanks for that. The actuator sits on top of the valve so it should be straightforward to replace it. I'll first check that the valve is correctly wired up.

dont bother with that unless it has never worked correctly

how long have you been using the system?

I had a quick look at the wiring. The valve I have is a Myson MPE 228. It has 3 wires for the auxillary. These are orange, grey and white (common). The grey wire is not connected to anything. Is this correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back