Potterton Suprima 60L keeps turning off with Green Flashing

try turning the boiler stat down a bit and see what happens - if set too high or to max they sometimes cause the boiler to overheat

The boiler should be able to work fine with the stat on maximum, it's designed to. If it doesn't then the system is at fault.

some boilers overheat when on maximum, the potterton profile is a common cause of this - I know it;s designed to but it just doesn't - like isolation valves under the boiler are designed to be used to change a part without draining down whole system etc - but we know these are not always straightforward too!

Sponsored Links
It does sound as though the system is suffering from poor circulation.

Are there any airbleeds in and around the hot water tank?

Has the header tank got water in it?

If you drain a little (a buckets worth) of water from the system, does the header tank refill?

jackecole - if the boiler was over heating it would be locking out. (red flashing light)

How do I drain the system apart from at a bleed screw on a radiator?

try bleeding a radiator at top floor level and see if water keeps flowing, if not could be a blocked cold feed, if there's water in the header tank.

also could be some air in the system so check that too

petitpablo: if air was in the system or a lack of water would that not cause an oerheat situation and lockout? Only asking as you seem to know your stuff :)

Sponsored Links
petitpablo: if air was in the system or a lack of water would that not cause an oerheat situation and lockout? Only asking as you seem to know your stuff :)

Depends on the layout of the pipework. If there is a decent rise on the pipework coming away from the boiler then the heat will gravitate away from the boiler and cutting in and out on its thermostat. The OH stat on a suprima is right next to the primary sensor rather than in a phial within the heat exchanger like may are.

try bleeding a radiator at top floor level and see if water keeps flowing, if not could be a blocked cold feed, if there's water in the header tank.

also could be some air in the system so check that too

Ok, so i'm bleeding a radiator and the water is still flowing with no air coming out of the bleed screw.

I bled the radiators yesterday.

LOL :D

Turn off the pump valves and remove the pump. You will have too catch a small amount of water. Fingers crossed the valves shut off! Connect it to a flying lead and see how it runs briefly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back