Potterton Suprima 60L problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the past couple of weeks we have been having problems with our Potterton Suprima 60L. It trips out and the red led flashes about twice a second - if I press the reset it will work ok for a while maybe even a day or so before tripping out again. Please does anyone have any diagnostic ideas for me to try?

Sponsored Links
causes are:
Switch Live connected to Pump Live

Poor burner ignition due to gas pressure

Poor burner ignition due to incorrect spark gap

Slow opening gas valve after a long standby period

Weak spark due to electrode lead or Control

Pre-pay gas meter running out

Other common reasons for complaint are:
Other system faults (actuator, room thermostat, timer)

Lack of user education in the operation of system control

System wiring faults affecting operation or temperature

you could try these to start with
MI s :D

Do you know whether it trips when hot or cold? ie. is the overheat thermostat operating? or does it 'oversleep' first thing in the morning?

Thanks for prompt response. The boiler lights up no problem once reset is pressed and it seem to function ok for a while before tripping again. The house is only 2yrs old and I am surprised at having problems so soon. I have noticed that the pump always seems to be running even when no CH/HW selected. The system is connected to a Heatrae Sadia Megaflo.

Sponsored Links
It seems to trip when it has been hot. Does the red led flashing 2 or so every second indicate a particular component is at fault?

Boiler is locking out. Unfortunately, there are several possible causes, including fault on the PCB itself.

Likeliest, given that it occurs when HOT, is intermittent and has started happening without any changes to the system, is overheating of the boiler which opens the overheat thermostat.

Frequent cause is that there is no or insufficient bypass capacity in the system. You said that the pump continued to run after the burner has shut down - this is CORRECT operation. But the hot water from the boiler heat exchanger needs somewhere to go when 'overrun' is taking place. There SHOULD be either an 'Automatic Bypass Valve' (ABV) linking flow and return pipes some distance from the boiler OR a fixed bypass (ie. a pipe with a partly-open gate valve in it, usually near the HW cylinder and linking Flow and Return - not so good but acceptable) or a radiator never turned off (eg. a towel rail), to provide a bypass path. Check that when the boiler is overrunning, the bypass route is hot.

Yes agree with all the other posts, but if it has the reset button moulded into the fascia instead of a proper positive push button it will be the pcb which is at fault....guaranteed.

Yup - older-style PCBs on Suprimas are / were totally unreliable. But I was assuming that they'd all gone bang long ago. :evil:

Not sure where they are coming from either, but I do at least one every week often more.

Hi all I’m having issues with my Potterton suprima 60. I have a constant amber light. Looking into this it apparently means no HW demand. I’ve checked room thermostat which looks like it’s working fine. I’ve had a new PCB fitted about 12 months ago. New thermistor about a month ago. Any ideas?

You have just Hi-jacked a 16 year old post, this is against site rules and you wont get the correct information, you will have to start your own post

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back