Potterton Suprima 80 CH trips electrics, HW ok

I still think it may not be a boiler problem but extra load tipping the balance. You have not answered question is it 100 mA or 30 mA trip, it 30 mA then not a surprised it trips when supplying the whole house, my house has 14.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I don't know the answer to the question, I'm afraid. I did unplug everything on that circuit and just tried boiler and it tripped.

Hi, I don't know the answer to the question, I'm afraid. I did unplug everything on that circuit and just tried boiler and it tripped.

Whole house RCD's are bad news, really difficult for the amateur to track down the cause of the trip and not easy even for some pro's. If the cause is the fixed wiring, then unplugging things will make no difference to whether it trips or not.

From your description the fault is most likely in the fixed wiring, probably somewhere between room thermostat and boiler.
Enjoy Christmas, sort an electrician for a scheduled job and spend your time trying to remember if anyone has fixed a new picture to a wall or screwed any loose floorboards down recently :)

Sponsored Links
Excellent advice. I will post an update when it's all resolved - here's hoping that's sooner rather than later.
Your advice is greatly appreciated! Have a great Christmas everyone. ☃️

Hi everyone! Well it's finally been fixed. Hubbie found a guy through check-a-trade who carefully looked at everything and found that some wires had melted onto the top of the heat exchanger. It is now fixed.
This engineer bumped into the plumber who had changed the valve and not fixed the boiler and taken lots of money from us and told her he had sorted it out. She told him to f*** off! Nice lady! Sadly because she's a woman she gets a lot of business from older people. Anyway, we are fixed.
All the best to you all and thanks for your advice, Lucy :)

My turn to laugh - they don't measure fault current at all, they measure the difference in current flow between that of the L and that of the N. If the difference, becomes greater than a set amount, then they trip.

So you are saying the difference in current is not a defect current? After all a defect is causing this erroneous current to flow thus the breaker trips because there is imbalance

Hi everyone! Well it's finally been fixed. Hubbie found a guy through check-a-trade who carefully looked at everything and found that some wires had melted onto the top of the heat exchanger. It is now fixed.

You were lucky indeed, to find someone with skills, via such a site. Most are not generally that lucky.

This engineer bumped into the plumber who had changed the valve and not fixed the boiler and taken lots of money from us and told her he had sorted it out. She told him to f*** off! Nice lady! Sadly because she's a woman she gets a lot of business from older people. Anyway, we are fixed.
All the best to you all and thanks for your advice, Lucy

Of course, you could always ask for a refund of the money the engineer charged for replacing unnecessary parts.

Hi She told him to f*** off! Nice lady! Sadly because she's a woman she gets a lot of business from older people.
Is there a way of leaving feedback via a site, or Facebook? I know some older people don’t use internet etc, but they may ask someone to look on their behalf?

I will tell everyone I know about her, but will not leave official feedback as she was aggressive with me when I challenged her about her not having fixed it. I know it's cowardly, but she really was a nasty piece of work and she knows where I live.

Fair enough (y)
No, not fair at all. She seems no better than those nomadic types that say your roof need repairing and then do nothing, but force you to the bank to get payment. Report her to trading standards at least, and tell her you will be making a money claim back by section 75.

Hubbie found a guy through check-a-trade who carefully looked at everything and found that some wires had melted onto the top of the heat exchanger. It is now fixed.
If this was indeed the fault, then the boiler would have tripped the electrics regardless of whether it was heating HW or CH, so either your description was wrong, or you still have a problem, the boiler doesnt know what it is heating, it just knows when to come on or off

If this was indeed the fault, then the boiler would have tripped the electrics regardless of whether it was heating HW or CH, so either your description was wrong, or you still have a problem, the boiler doesnt know what it is heating, it just knows when to come on or off

Easy to become confused, with so much happening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back