Potterton Suprima/boilermate 2000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Recently it's been locking out frequently and required re-setting, on wednesday it would ignite for about 15 seconds then the pipes would judder and the boiler would switch off, I ordered a refurbished PCB from ebay (seller has sold loads and very good feedback), since a replacement was ordered I decided to take out existing PCB and look for dry solders, upon inspection I realised I was over my head, tiny solders and blind as a bat so replaced, fitted re-furbished PCB when it arrived and when I switch on boiler it lights up red LED and green LED for about 3 seconds and there is a ping from the PCB, after this I get a constant red LED and the boiler does not try again (instruction manual states it should try 3 times before red LED flashes lock out)

I spoke to friends and they said check the basics which included checking the expansion tank, this amazingly was empty, the stop cock was turned off!, I've been in this house for 7 years from new- gobsmacked. I turned
the water on and the tank filled up then I switched off the stop cock, the tank emptied about 25% and stopped taking water, I then opened up the stop cock and it filled and it didn't take anymore (stop cock now on)

A neighbour had a wee look at the boiler with his multi meter, there is a 240v request for water from the SWL, however there is no power going to the fan, he says the boiler won't play without the fan spinning up first. He also disconnected firstly the air pressure switch, then the temperature sensor, the red LED stayed on constant, he thinks disconnecting these sensors should have made the red flash when trying to ignite the boiler, which makes sense to me.

So in short what are the suggestions, my head tells me to go and buy the the latest PCB upgrade, freinds reckon If I get a man in, I'll be paying him to tell me the same thing!

Thanks in advance Allan

Sponsored Links
Amazing. Do you buy teeth off Ebay and fit them yourself?

Sponsored Links
Sadly you get what you pay for.

Also it does not comply with manufacturers specs to fit a re-furb board.

Also the new boards are only available as a complete kit with all the wiring looms new as well.

I know a supplier who can sell new 'old' boards for £70, not re-furb ones, but I wouldn't even trust them.

My own Suprima board went 10 days ago and I would only fit the new modified kit.

Ebay buyers beware.

Potterton no longer support the original PCB, they have for several years now sold a PCB and wiring loom up-grade

It is not approved to use recon parts nor is it sensible you should get a RGI to investigate and fit the upgrade PCB as nesessary :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back