Potterton Suprima HE Fan keeps breaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know there are issues regarding gas advice on this forum but please bear with me...

A couple of months ago the boiler went - called out our regular engineer and he said the fan had gone. He had concerns that it could have been caused by water ingress into the flue as apparently this boiler has a design flaw with this so he poured a load of water into the flue to check and none came through so he replaced fan.

Last week boiler went again - he came out and said fan had gone again. We repeated the pouring water over the flue stuff and again no water appeared (also both fans had no sign of water damage). He replaced fan FOC 'cos when he spoke to his supplier they said that they would be able to get a warranty replacement on it.

Anyway, the boiler went again overnight with same symptoms but there was no rain last night so it can't be that (and anyway I guess the actions above have proven it).

Just posting on here not how to fix it but trying to get an idea of what could be wrong - is it new boiler time ? If so, I'll be a bit peeved as it's probably only 5 years old and has been fine up until now. The guy who services / fixes the boiler has been doing it for years and seems very competent and is always reliable but he did seem rather at a loss on last visit.

Sponsored Links
As far as I recall this may be a standard induction motor fan, if so its difficult to guess why it fails.

If its a variable speed motor then my expectation is that there is a fault on the main PCB.

But without being there and doing electronic tests I cannot guess at what is the problem.

Tony

Had this very situation, the flue bend off the top of the boiler ending up being holed by corrosion but on the hidden top side so water down it via condense etc was okay but the steam when it was running killed the fans eventually...... new flue bend and seal at the boiler side cured it

Sponsored Links
A flue leak would usually cause dampness inside the boiler and obvious rusting of the iron components.

What would have been useful would have been to know how the fans failed. Thats key knowledge!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back