Alpha CB24/28 Boiler - Fan issue?

Simple there are a lot of components on that board once the relay is broken of it is easy to identify the pins of the relay. simply turn the board over heat up the pins on the back of the board and they will fall out under gravity much neater job simple without having to tug on the relay as you are trying to desolder 4 pins using I presume a de- solder pump or braid.

Sponsored Links
I would find the solder would hold the broken pin in the hole, sometimes the pin would be held by its tightness of the hole.

Of course I use a desolder pump to remove the solder.

Often its important not to damage the component when removing it.

Tony

Components are relatively cheap pennies in fact. The holes should be sufficiently big enough for the component pins if you know what you are doing. Resistors etc much easier as you can see where they start and finish whereas the relay the pins are hidden underneath the relay hence breaking of the pins much easier to identify and to de-solder the correct pins. Don't really see what all this is about you obviously have nothing better to other than to troll the forum looking for arguments. I prefer this way you don't and I wouldn't do it to all components as I have previously stated just where the pins can not be seen on the underside of the board.

To be honest I have better things to other than to argue over de soldering a relay it was meant for a lay person who perhaps are not used to de soldering components and making it easier for them to do so.

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone. My boiler has just inherited the same problem, winter must be on the way.
Both lights flashing together. Fans aren't turning on and no ignition.
I can replace the PCB for £40 but my concern is that the relays (as mentioned in a earlier post) are in fact fine.
When i turn on I'm pretty certain i can hear the relays in the centre of the PCB clicking, does this suggest that they are in fact ok!? or are they more complex than that!
Any advice before i start spending money would be much appreciated!

Brian, good call. Have done what you say plenty times. Agree faulty relay too

Have in past removed plastic case (lobotomy) at the top, adjusted contacts to get boiler working, the repair at suitable times lit later

WRT, technical backup pcb components, guys there unlikely to know what the components do. To them it is a black box.

what a great post to show that you shouldnt be trying to repair your own boiler , what a load of Shoite

I won't be repairing the boiler if it's anything other than the PCB (easy swap out). If I can hear the relays clicking on should I assume they are in fact working so not the solution as posted by Brian?

The manual says both lights flashing together are a flue/fan problem. If this is the case can anyone point me/and the plumber in the direction to rectify the error without taring down the whole boiler?

Also sounds like the fan is kicking in after you turn it on but no ignition..

Last edited:
I won't be repairing the boiler if it's anything other than the PCB (easy swap out). If I can hear the relays clicking on should I assume they are in fact working so not the solution as posted by Brian?

A relay that clicks when energised, only indicates the armature has operated. The click does not guarantee the contacts have made. In fact this is the most common cause of relay failure- contact erosion

That will be an interesting reply.

There is more to repairing boilers than blindly changing parts!

I believe I have the same problem, the Pcb is not outputting 240v to the fan. However in my case B led was just flashing every 5 secs meaning boiler inactive but with mains supply ok

You need to start your own post , it is against site rules to Hi-jack old posts and you wont get the correct answer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back