Potterton Suprima Repair or Replace

id repair.. as already been said get a fix price repair, prob get it fitted cheaper than what ya can buy the part for.. bg £168 as a 1 off, £100 with a 12month contract

Sponsored Links
Took out 2 Suprima 100 's today (linked) they were installed in 2004, fella is fed up with them , he has had 4 pcbs , 2 fans & been plagued with various intermitent faults over the years !

In my veiw as a general point , most (all ?) new boilers are carp any way ,so if u replace it , it could be a case of pick the best of a bad bunch & hope u get it right , we are all some what fortunate that boiler manus are not involved in the manufacture of the electronics that are in our TV's ect !

Took out 2 Suprima 100 's today (linked) they were installed in 2004, fella is fed up with them , he has had 4 pcbs , 2 fans & been plagued with various intermitent faults over the years !

In my veiw as a general point , most (all ?) new boilers are carp any way ,so if u replace it , it could be a case of pick the best of a bad bunch & hope u get it right , we are all some what fortunate that boiler manus are not involved in the manufacture of the electronics that are in our TV's ect !

the 100 is a little different, it is a little more unreliable.

As someone pointed out above there are some very silly design faults with the Suprima.

There should be a reflective laminated heat shield to the left of the PCB to keep heat away from the PCB and gas valve. It alos needs more air vents to allow a flow of cooling air through the PCB area.

Also ideally a short fan over run to help remove waste heat from the c.i. heat exchanger faster than the pump over run ( when connected ) will do.

Tony

Sponsored Links
once i have put the new pcb on, have never known a new one to fail.

I am thinking about having it repaired now based on the comments I have received. The issue in the area we live I don't really know any gas/boiler engineers. I am concerned about BG fixed price incase it is something simple like a sensor and £168 to have a sensor replaced is expensive.

Due to thte fact that the fault is intermittent, does that point more towards to the PCB. Any more advice would be appreciated.

Also, I drained some water out of one of the downstairs radiators and it was pretty clean (White Wine colour).

Thanks again for all the replies received so far

the thermistor is virtually bulletproof. likewise the overheat stat and APS. fans rarely fail.

that only leaves the ignition electrode, pcb and gas valve.

my money is on the PCB. you pay your money you take your chance.

Thanks for all your replies.

Looking at parts for the suprima, if any of the items that Nickso mentioned has failed, it will most likely cost around BG fixed price to fix (Although I am no expert).

Therefore I am going to get BG in to do a fixed price repair?

I have a question though, if I get them in and they fix what they believe to be the problem and after the repair it still fails will they return and fix it for free or not?

Talk to Potterton for there fixed price repair, £300.00 ish but then the boiler & iinstallationis covered for 12 months and priority call out.

I could replace a PCB for less than that but then I dont give any boiler cover afterwards apart for the warrantee on the new PCB.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back