Pourous paving for the front garden...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

Second post on here now. Oh the joys of home ownership.......

I am looking to pave/tarmac/resin bound aggregate the grass out in the garden next to the existing concrete driveway and to put a hard standing at the side of my end of terrace house for a car port.

I have had a look at the planning portal and from what I can gather that for the front I have 2 options for the front, Put whatever hardstanding down and provide adequate drainage to a soak away, after getting planning consent or building regs sign off. Or Secondly use a porous surface like gravel or Resin bonded paving, and not get any signoff.

So the question is. or are....

- If I use Resing bonded what sort of base would be adequate to support a car and also be porous?
- Is tarmac porous?
- What else could I use besides loose gravel sprinkled over compacted hardcore.

Looking like war an peace now lol...

Then the second thing I picked up from the planning portal was that the hard standing at the side of the house could be constructed any way what so ever, as long as it drained away from the house and didnt drastically change the access into the property.

If that is the case, for a concrete slab would 10 inches of compacted hardcore or type1 i think its called with 6 inches of concrete be adequate to support a car? Would I need to use any re inforcing steel or would I need any foundations to support the slab?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I have not got muchexperience in DIY world yet. But my old man started out building a 20m2 extension from no experience and thats still standing 25 years later lol, so I intend to learn fast.. lol

Rob

Sponsored Links
as long as the paving has the drainage or is porous, then you do not need to apply for planning permission or regs. Its amazing how many contractors are still installing driveways with no drainage though

10 inches of well compacted mot and 6 inches of concrete will be spot on. yes rebar is a good idea.

Thanks for the response.

Just another question. is compacted mot1 deemed porous?

And does anyone have a good supplier (cheaper the better) that they could recommend.

Rob

Sponsored Links
mot should be viewed as porus, but its not normally a finishing layer (unless it sagricultural etc) if you need a large amount, probably better looking for a small local haulier who will do it a lot cheaper than bagged stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back