Power 'brownouts' looming?

Sponsored Links
What nation deliberately ties it's economic hands behind its back

One that's lost the plot.

For every coal station we close, the Chinese will open a hundred. What I want to know is, how will industry cope when we have blackouts? I forgot - we've either closed all our industries down or sold them off. Problem solved. :rolleyes:

We'll just build a few more windmills. Crisis? What crisis?

Sponsored Links
I have wind all year round. :oops:

It's true. I'm surprised the government haven't considered setting up a new power station in Manchester. The amount of hot air he spouts would power a city the size of New York. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

More nonsense courtesy of the climate-change movement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21878059

What nation deliberately ties it's economic hands behind its back by closing perfectly good fossil-fuel power stations with the supposed aim of Saving the Planet?

Ridiculous. I heard the other day that Drax - the biggest power station in the UK (coal powered) - is to be converted to burn 'biomass' (wood) as a 'green' initiative, despite millions of tons of coal being available there.

I'm sure we shall be having power cuts in the near future, probably just for the odd hour or two to begin with. I shall be looking to buy a portable petrol/diesel generator to power 'essentials' during these periods. I already have an Aladdin lamp that I'll use for lighting, which runs for hours on a fill of lamp oil and gives of a bright light.

Ridiculous. I heard the other day that Drax - the biggest power station in the UK (coal powered) - is to be converted to burn 'biomass' (wood) as a 'green' initiative

Yes, complete madness. Apparently much of the waste wood to burn will come from Canada - on ships - which burn tons of oil crossing the Atlantic.
The rest of the waste will be shipped in on lorries (more emissions).

If they studied it properly, they'd probably find that less emissions are produced by using the local coal rather than bringing in waste from all over the place.

Ridiculous. I heard the other day that Drax - the biggest power station in the UK (coal powered) - is to be converted to burn 'biomass' (wood) as a 'green' initiative

Yes, complete madness. Apparently much of the waste wood to burn will come from Canada - on ships - which burn tons of oil crossing the Atlantic.

If they studied it properly, they'd probably find that less emissions are produced by using the local coal rather than bringing in waste from all over the place.

Shipping uses a low amount of energy for transport, low enough that it's emissions can be ignored (in this context).

The real problem is that we could use that timber to build houses, instead we will burn it to heat houses, then use brick n block (much more energy intensive) to build houses.

It's all ass backwards.

About 30% of the light should be turned off anyways.
Street lighting and wasteful consumers being the main targets. Just shut it down.

Shipping uses a low amount of energy for transport, low enough that it's emissions can be ignored (in this context).

The real problem is that we could use that timber to build houses, instead we will burn it to heat houses, then use brick n block (much more energy intensive) to build houses.

It's all ass backwards.

And if push comes to shove in the middle of a cold snap in the middle of winter, we can burn our wooden houses to create more heat, simples!!

I would agree that shipping will produce less emissions per ton moved than other forms of transport.
But the emissions will still be there. Added to that are the emissions from all the lorries in the UK taking the waste there.
And there must be years-worth of coal in the vicinity of the power station there for the taking.

About 30% of the light should be turned off anyways.
Street lighting and wasteful consumers being the main targets. Just shut it down.

Yes, turn off all the lights at night and welcome to a burglar's paradise.

And before long, it'll be illegal to have our living room lights on after 11pm.

Sponsored Links
Back