Power Flush - Indication of Cost Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone give me an indication of what price i would expect to pay for a power flush in a bungalow with five radiators and a heated towel rail please? I live in Cambridgeshire.

Thanks very much,

Tracey

Sponsored Links
We would charge about £350.

You might get it a little cheaper but probably not much.

Whats more relevant is how well its done!

If its not that bad then we would try to clean it by a chemical treatment at about £180.

In these situations I always wonder why you think it needs to be power flushed?

Sponsored Links
Hi, thank you both for your prompt reply.

My enquiry relates to a dispute we have with a company who fitted a replacement pump for us and recommended that a power flush was required. We were invoiced £811 including VAT which we believe to be excessive and unacceptable.

The work was undertaken by a local company who we have used for several years so we trusted what they told us when they said it was likely to ruin the new pump if it was not done. I am sure some will consider us naive not to have got a quotation up front but we genuinely trusted the company.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/plumbing:faq:faq5

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this link Glasgowgas.

Whilst searching this forum leads me to question if the work was actually necessary, I think the task was done properly; two guys around 4-5 hours even though the job caused the overflow to activate and they had to return, it was the fee charged that doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Apologies to all for not explaining that in my initial post.

Tracey

what pump did they replace?

a make and model will be helpful

It is a Grundfos 15-50. This was charged at £375 inc VAT seperately. The guy put some chemical in the system when he did this and then the two guys came around a month later to do the power flush.

The only company around here that I've heard of charging that kind of money is British Gas.

I would be disputing that invoice too.

We would have charged £320.00p for the powerflush and only recommended it if it were really needed.
The pump change £150.00p unless on a combi or some system boilers.

sorry to sound like agile :oops:

im sorry tracey but in my honest opinion you have been ripped off

you can pick up that pump for £60 tops

price for powerflushing can vary depending on size of property to how bad the system is

i think you have been badly ripped off

Price seems rather excessive. With London prices, I use a guideline of 30 - 40 pounds per rad, plus about £100 on top of that.

It is a Grundfos 15-50. This was charged at £375 inc VAT seperately.

:eek: Feck me £375 for to supply and install a £60 pump?

Even if they had to drain the system, that amount is extortinate unless of course you have a massive open vented heating system and they were there hours changing the pump?

I supplied and installed two Honeywell 22MM two port MVs and a Grundfos 15-50 last week including two new gate valve pump valves and a litre of Sentinel X100 for £350.00 (labour was three hours).

The only company around here that I've heard of charging that kind of money is British Gas.

I would be disputing that invoice too.

We would have charged £320.00p for the powerflush and only recommended it if it were really needed.
The pump change £150.00p unless on a combi or some system boilers.

sorry to sound like agile :oops:

Thanks for the information. We paid the pump invoice sometime ago but i have disputed the power flush and have now said to the proprietor that i will get details of what i consider to be a fair price for the power flush and pay that.

It is a regrettable situation all around as we try to use local guys for all jobs and this has caused a lot of worry to us as the guy keeps threatening to take us to court if we don't pay the £811. I think i am now at the stage where i will send a cheque for what i understand to be a fair price together with a covering letter and see what happens from there.

Thanks again,

Tracey

Glasgowgas, bengasman and tonybhoy, thank you all for your input.

I am not familiar with the technical spec of our system but it is a lpg gas fire with a back boiler. There is a radiator in each room and we have a cold water tank in the loft and a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard. The pump was in there and the guy took about 2 hours to swap it over. He had to modify a pipe apparently.

I want to use the expletive that tonybhoy used in his post but as i am obviously in the company of gentlemen i will desist!

I do appreciate everyone who has offered their views doing so; we have just wanted to be fair to the company that did the work but i am feeling less inclined to be good natured about it with each additional reply i receive.

Most of the resident posters on here are independent installers; we don't work for free, but don't rip people of either. We are as keen to expose those who do, as you are.
The ones that work for larger companies probably share our views in this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back