Power for Bath & Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just after some advice.

I am about to get a new bathroom - which will require some power to a shower and bath (air jet thing). Currently there is no power in the bathroom save the lighting circuit.

Previously....
On the landing outside the bathroom I have taken a spur of the ring main and placed a double socket in the attic. This powers a computer & lighting circuit.

What I'd like to do is extend this spur from the attic back to the wall above the door in the bathroom where I'll put some sort of fused breaker (not sure what the power requirments are yet). From there I planned to run the various feeds to the shower & bath.

Is this the best way forward, or should I add the fused socket into the ring main back at the original landing socket?

Cheers

Tupelo

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like you are daisy chaining from the ring main and that is not permitted.
You are allowed only one unfused spur off each socket (single or double) on a ring main.
If you wnt to have more than one socket then you will need to add a fused spur.

So if I put a fuse on the existing spur, I can use this to supply the bathroom power?

T

In theory, yes, but as you have not stated what the load will be I can't say for sure.

Sponsored Links
I get the load details tonight - I'll post them up (if i can work it out..!)

Cheers

T

1) Don't forget the rules regarding concealed cables.

2) Don't forget the rules regarding supplementary equipotential bonding.

3) Don't forget that unless you live in Scotland you are supposed to notify LABC in advance about the electrical work you will be doing in the bathroom zones.

I've just been reading those now.

As for cables most of this will be run in zone 2 (from my calculations) and then terminated under the bath.

As for equipotential bonding (who thought that name up...) from the diagrams, it seems to me you just need to make sure all the pipe work is earthed. Or am i over simplifying it?

t.

[code:1]
As for cables most of this will be run in zone 2 (from my calculations) and then terminated under the bath.
[/code:1]

Teminations under the bath, have you thought that through? appart from it being non compliant with BS7671 unless you use waterproof terminations, access is going to be a problem.
The man from IEE he say NO!

maybe not competely thought through....
what i meant was, the pump for the whirlpool is attached to the bath - so i obviously need to get power to it (or from it) if it comes with a tail.

t.

The tails on the pump will be terminated in a waterproof enclosure and should be long enough to be terminated outside the danger zone.

tupelo said:
I've just been reading those now.

Never mind what bathroom zone the cables are in - there are other rules to follow concerning whereabouts in walls you can have buried cables.

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/C5-43.pdf

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/concealedcables.pdf

As for equipotential bonding (who thought that name up...)
The person who thought that name up was someone who wanted to describe it accurately..

from the diagrams, it seems to me you just need to make sure all the pipe work is earthed. Or am i over simplifying it?
It is not earthing - it is equipotential bonding. Bonding, as in electrically connecting items together, and equipotential as in the purpose of bonding it to bring everything that is bonded to the same electrical potential.

The document I linked to on my previous reply will tell you more about it, and you can also read this in conjunction:

http://www.niceic.org.uk/downloads/E169-9.pdf

I'd like to thank you all for undermining whatever confidence I might have had regarding this project.

At the same time probably saving my life.

Cheers

tups

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back