power going to new rose/bulb holder but no light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the weekend one of my sons bedroom light stopped working, firstly assumed it was the bulb so changed it but still no joy.

The electrics are old and in the particular room the ceiling rose was an old black rose. There are two switches that operate it, a cord switch in the bedroom and then a normal switch on the landing.

I had been saying for weeks that I would replace his ceiling rose and cord switch so thought this is a good time to do it, thinking maybe a wire has worked loose.

I changed both the cord switch and rose this morning, and all seems good. I don't have a meter but have an 'electricians' screwdriver that glows when it is held against a live wire.

When either of the switches is turned on, there is power going to the ceiling rose, and even to the terminal in the bulb holder. Turn the switches off and there is no power. All well and good so I thought.

When we put a bulb in, it doesn't light up when switched on, there is still power going to the rose (now on both connections in and out of the rose).

Does this mean that there is a break somewhere in the circuit after the light? (I have tried a few bulbs) or is it likely to be something else?

I know the house needs a rewire as an electrician whom done some work in our kitchen last year advised us that because of it's age it has to be reported/registered and a rewire is recommended but due to low income at present it is not a realistic possibility at the moment.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
greg.M said:
I don't have a meter but have an 'electricians' screwdriver that glows when it is held against a live wire.

bin it and get a meter. then read the voltage accross the terminals between phase and earth, phase and neutral. sounds like there could be a neutral fault (which a screwdriver will not find)

i agree with the above the screwdrivers you mention are rubbish, should not be relied upon, and often lie

Yo - loss of neutral sounds most likely, which leads me to...

greg.M said:
I know the house needs a rewire as an electrician whom done some work in our kitchen last year advised us that because of it's age it has to be reported/registered and a rewire is recommended but due to low income at present it is not a realistic possibility at the moment.
Dunno what he meant by "reported/registered", but did he say why a rewire was recomended?

When you were working on the switch and the rose, did you notice if the wiring was rubber insulated, or PVC?

Sponsored Links
does sound like a broken neutral somewhere

what wires/cables are entering the rose?

as always photos are very handy

Deffinantly a lost neutral. This is why the neutral became 'live' when the lamp was installed and switched on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back