bulb blew, now no power in flex.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our top landing bulb blew. It's on the same circuit as the landing below and is actually on a 3 way switch circuit as you can switch the 2 lights on from the floor below them. When I renewed the bulb, nothing. So tried the bulb from the working light and nothing. Have now tested with voltmeter and there's no power in the flex. Unfortunately the rose is above the ceiling as a new ceiling was put up when the house was restored. Apart from hacking away the new ceiling to get to it, is there any way I can test why it's not working. My immediate thought is that maybe the bulb never blew and a wire's come off in the rose.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Hi, have you checked that there is not a mcb that has tripped ? A mulitway switch could be supplied from more that one circuit.

Regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Funny kind of "restoration".

The new lamp has it's own metal rose with only connections for live and neutral so the original rose would look more 'funny' if it were next to it, well, IMO!

The new lamp has it's own metal rose with only connections for live and neutral so the original rose would look more 'funny' if it were next to it, well, IMO!
Well you would normally bring the cables through, and add your own connector blocks for the cables you don't need at the moment.

I'm assuming you don't have access from above? If not, then unfortunately it may mean some hacking of the ceiling is needed.

Is this the only lamp that doesn't work? It might be worth checking the switch before you do any damage to the ceiling, this can at least be done without damage

Well you would normally bring the cables through, and add your own connector blocks for the cables you don't need at the moment.

I'm assuming you don't have access from above? If not, then unfortunately it may mean some hacking of the ceiling is needed.

Is this the only lamp that doesn't work? It might be worth checking the switch before you do any damage to the ceiling, this can at least be done without damage

Access from above is very difficult as it's a floored loft with loads of stuff in it! So if the switch on the floor of the dud light is broke, would that mean no power in the flex?

Yea if the switch has failed open circuit, it won't pass voltage from one side to the other, thus no power to the flex. It's more likely to be the rose, but could be the switch

If you have no joy checking the switch for visible damage, I'd be looking at lifting loft boards before ripping ceiling down.

Did you try the top landing bulb in another light?

Not that it matters mind if you've got no voltage at your pins.

So if the switch on the floor of the dud light is broke, would that mean no power in the flex?

NO, not always, it would be worth trying the other switches too, there is over 6 combinations of switching involved.
It would be unusual for just one switch to fail open circuit, let alone 2 or 3.

Anyway if there was 2 bulbs on the switch and one bulbs working the switch appears ok

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back