bulbs constantly blow in one room only

W

walkern

Hello,
In one room, and only one room the light bulbs blow every few weeks.

I've replaced the light switch and the ceiling rose and pendant. I've tried various bulbs of various qualities and types (standard, low wattage, etc) and the same bulbs are fine in other rooms.

It can't be the lighting circuit as it's not the end room, so unless there's a logical explanation the only thing I can think of that's left is the wire from the switch to the rose?

I have a new consumer unit, re-wiring was completed about 10 years ago and the light circuit is a standard multi-point radial circuit (all via ceiling roses - with spot lights in the landing) with nothing else attached and covers about 10-15 bulbs, most of which are 30-50w attached to a 5amp breaker running on 1.5mm cable.

Sponsored Links
Your not experiencing issues on other rooms lighting via the same circuit so it seems logical the problem is in the room.

You've missed a tiny detail, what is in the room light fitting wise? And what bulb type are blowing.

Are you absolutely sure every screw and terminal is clean wire and nicely screwed down, are you absolutely sure the bulbs you are using are suitable for the fitting (s). Are you buying 10 a penny bulbs or a well regarded make?

It's a new switch/rose/pendant and everything is tight. It's a standard single pendant.

The last bulb to go was a long life 50w eco bulb (the ones that look like odl style bulbs), they aren't cheap ones and I use the same bulbs throughout the house.

Have you tried a CFL? Or has it always been incandescents?

Why are you using "Long Life" 50w "ECO" lamps which will be neither long life or eco, instead of CFL's which ARE actually long life and eco.

Sponsored Links
I'll give it a try, but I'm pretty sure I've tried those and they lasted maybe a month.

But the thing remains, it's only this room that has issues with blowing, and even the worst bulb (which I haven't used) will last more than a week or two.

Is there a room above this lamp and if so what is it used for ?

Dancing on the floor above can create enough vibration to shorten the life of a filament bulb fitted to ( or hung from ) the ceiling below the floor.

Check every terminal in the switch and ceiling rose is tight and the screw is biting on the conductor and not through the insulation. That worked at a friend's house

It's a bedroom, nothing above. As I mentioned before I replaced all the parts and it still has the same issue, i.e. every screw is tight.

Would some kind of meter reading tell me anything?

I would say I do live close to a sub-station, but this is the only room with issues.....

You may require the services of a priest :eek:

Try a candle and if that blows out call ghost busters.

DS

If it is the last light on the circuit then there could be a loose feed connection to that light from an adjacent room's light. I suggest checking all connections in the circuit.
Also, is there any type of shade on this light which would impede the heat escaping from the lamp?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back