Splitting lighting circuit from one bulb to three?

Is it a secret, or are you going to help me to understand? You could perhaps start by explaining what you mean by 'the central loop'
//www.diynot.com/wiki/_detail/electrics:lighting:lrblbn1w.gif?id=electrics%3Alighting%3Asingle_way_lighting
See the bit in the centre marked 'loop' .... This is very basic stuff here!
Oh, good grief, you surely don't think that I need to be directed to that?!!. So, when you said 'the central loop', you meant to 'loop terminals (which are usually the 'central' ones) of the rose'?

But this has got absolutely nothing to do what I was saying. Of course the permanent live feed for any extension would have to come from the 'loop' terminal block of a rose which has permanent live - but, as I said, with what has been proposed, a permanent live would only be present at that terminal block in the first of the three roses - which would mean that would end up with 5 cables (plus pendant flex), each with two conductors plus CPC, going to that first rose, if one extended the circuit from it.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Oh Good Grief - I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick..

The OP wanted to fit a cluster of three ceiling roses (why?)- I asked if a single switch was to operate all three lights? The reference to the Parallel wiring wiki page seemed to confirm that.
On that basis I drew the OP's attention to the fact that the Parallel wiring diagram showed the wiring for ceiling rose 2 and ceiling rose 3.
It did not show ceiling rose 1 where the switched live (black/brown not red as in the diagram) would come into the switched live terminal block.
And by reference this is where the connecting conductor needs to be taken to the switch live on ceiling rose 2 etc.

Oh Good Grief - I think you may have got the wrong end of the stick..
I actually think that you may have - at least, you seem to have not understood the discussion has taken place since your initial answers...
The OP wanted to fit a cluster of three ceiling roses (why?)- I asked if a single switch was to operate all three lights? The reference to the Parallel wiring wiki page seemed to confirm that. ... On that basis I drew the OP's attention to the fact that the Parallel wiring diagram showed the wiring for ceiling rose 2 and ceiling rose 3. ... It did not show ceiling rose 1 where the switched live (black/brown not red as in the diagram) would come into the switched live terminal block. ... And by reference this is where the connecting conductor needs to be taken to the switch live on ceiling rose 2 etc.
All true and correct. I have no issue with any of that.

However, subsequently, in a note specifically directed to electricians, I suggested that there might be some merit in linking the three roses with 3C+E (i.e. including a permanent live, which the OP does not currently need) so that should future extension of the circuit be required, it could be done from the 2nd or 3rd of the OP's roses, rather than the 1st one (which would be getting pretty crowded if one added a fifth T+E cable for the extension). That's all, but I have to assume that you misunderstood, or did not correctly understand, since none of your responses seem to have related to what I was talking about - you have merely said things like "why on earth would you do that".

Kind Regards, John

However, subsequently, in a note specifically directed to electricians, I suggested that there might be some merit in linking the three roses with 3C+E (i.e. including a permanent live, which the OP does not currently need) ... That's all, but I have to assume that you misunderstood, or did not correctly understand, since none of your responses seem to have related to what I was talking about - you have merely said things like "why on earth would you do that".
No I perfectly understood what you were saying and who it was directed at and for the cluster as described by the OP my response was why would you bother.
Honestly John at times you do seem to live in the fairy fairy land. Trying to come up with inane questions to keep posts going.
Once again you have hijacked this post that had seemingly reached it conclusion to raise a question that should have started a new post.
You have not only done it twice today:
//www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/minor-works-cert-replacement-boilers.378090/
but you do it on a regular basis.

Sponsored Links
No I perfectly understood what you were saying and who it was directed at and for the cluster as described by the OP my response was why would you bother.
If one 'bothered' (which one probably wouldn't), it would be because, by creating the cluster in the manner discussed, one would be making it more difficult to extend that circuit in future - and I merely asked electricians for their view as the whether they felt that the 3C+E approach might 'have merit' for that reason. I was just interested in opinions, and didn't really want, or expect, an inquistion.

"I'm out".

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back