maximum bulbs of one ceiling fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a standard single pendant hanging from my ceiling, and I want to swap this for a chandelier, but i have a nag in the back of my mind about having too many bulbs on just a 'normal' but of wiring ... is there a maximum number of bulbs / watts i should put through a normal lighting circuit, or do I need to replace to wire itself to something more beefy if I want any more than one ? Does it change if I use different bulbs types [little halogen thingies vs normal incandescent vs LED]

thanks in advance, mfh17

Sponsored Links
you can have quite a lot of bulbs (lamps) on a circuit. Chandeliers are usually fitted with multiple low-wattage "candle" bulbs.

Will your preferred chandelier take more than, say, ten 25W bulbs? Look at the actual (not the "Equivalent") ratings on the packs.

It might if you have a ballroom, but not if you have a typical domestic living room.

Domestic lighting circuiuts are usually fused at 5 or 6 amps, which will support about a dozen ceiling lamps each with a 100W bulb (or about 50 25W lamps).

Now that sensible peoplle use low-energy lamps, and modern houses usually have a separate lighting circuit for each floor, most houses will never reach this load. But if you are fond of wasteful downlighters, or have several large chandeliers, or halogen lamps running off the lighting circuit, you might.

There's no maximum as such. The lighting circuit in the ceiling rose should have the capacity to run about 1200 Watts of lighting.... That's generally more than enough for any room - in fact you would probably have to plaster everyone in factor 40 sun cream before turning the light on.......unless you are using those hideously inefficient recessed halogen downlighters :rolleyes: .

If the lighting from a single pendant with, say, one 100 Watt tungsten filament lamp is sufficient, then I doubt you will need to fit much more than 40 watt lamps in a 3 lamp fitting, or 5 X 25 Watt lamps etc. etc.

The flex from the rose to the pendant may need to be replaced, but chandeliers are usually pre-wired with suitable flex.

If you opt for a fitting that requires removal of the existing ceiling rose, you will need to fit a junction box to house the wiring. That box should be accessible for maintenance (Removing the light fitting for maintenance access is OK, ripping up carpets and floorboards isn't.)

Make sure you clearly identify all the wires and connections in the rose before you start. There are posts here regularly from people who didn't do that!

A 6 amp lighting circuit can supply:

125 x 11 watt CFLs
23 x 60 watt filament lamps
2 x 500 watt floodlights

The maximum load on a 6 amp circuit is 1380 watts. This is your guide.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back