Chandelier not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm the first to admit I'm no electrician but got forced into this one.

The in laws asked me to put up to chandelier type lights on at the bottom of stairs one on the landing both have been working for a year until now. The upstairs light isn't working. The light was switched on and it blew.

There is a double switch downstairs controlling both lights and two single ones upstairs one controlling the landing light the other one wasn't working.

The upstairs rose I fitted with a strip joint it has three ground wires from the ceiling, two red wires from ceiling which are looped back. One grey from the ceiling into brown of the rose. And two black from the ceiling into blue of the rose.

I checked the ac voltage with switch off it was 29v approx with switch on its 236 approx.

I connected a 40w bulb from a new rose across the live and neutral it lit up and blew straight away then I tried a 100w bulb and its working so I wired it into a standard rose and its working ok currently.

I've tried to explain everything even if it makes me look stupid or even dangerous can anyone help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well, it would appear the chandelier has developed a fault.

How many lamps (bulbs) does it have?

As above, if you have taken down the chandeliers fittings and the fault has cleared then you have a faulty with the chandeliers.

You haven't touched the switches have you?

What happens when you attempt to put the old fitting back in?

Would you take a picture? Or two?

Your descriptive is unclear, do you have three cables, each with two cores and an earth.

You mention two reds, two blacks so am I right in thinking these are red, black and earth on two cables? You then mention a grey cable has that really just got one core and an earth?

Sponsored Links
Seven small bulbs, I thought the 40w bulb blowing could suggest I've done something wrong? That has helped the fault develop.

Sorry Chri5

It's working with a standard type rose with 100w bulb the chandelier isn't working.

And your description if the of wiring is correct despite my inability to describe it in english

Not if the 100W works.

As none of the chandelier lamps work it must be something affecting the whole.

Does the chandelier have a transformer (are the bulbs 12V?) to which the mains is connected?

If so, I would think this has failed.

Thanks EFL

You've summed it up it was just in case they got another one and I would break it too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back