Power Line in Cavity Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Looking for some advice,

Planning on drilling holes throughout house (cavity wall tie rods installation). House was built 1969+

The overhead power line runs from pole on pavement to the gable end front of house/attic area. This cable must enter through the cavity, then up from the floor to the fusebox/meter in the living room (also front of house).

Obviously I need to know where it is running to avoid drilling into it,

How does one normally go about this? I was thinking perhaps inspection camera in the cavity and/or hiring a cat/genny can't see any other ways :unsure:

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
That wasn't really the question though...
I think some people put cameras through the airbricks, but no personal experience.

Sponsored Links
Great thanks, I'll try the inspection camera, I can access the cavity near to the incoming cable without drilling, as there are plenty of gaps where they haven't blocked up to match the roof pitch.

Any point contacting the DNO? Would it be documented where it is routed?

Thanks for the help

Interesting, possibly not, but that's how they surveyed my son's house (for cavity insulation). Maybe I misunderstood. @morg please note - luckily you have a route that will work.

Last edited:
Depends on whether they were for cavity ventilation or something else.
Well, yes, but (at least in my experience) that is not the purpose of the great majority of 'air bricks' which, if the ventilation path goes through a cavity, have some sort of duct to prevent continuity with the cavity.

Kind Regards, John

Sorry misread

Great thanks for the help, will post back my findings. Cheers

Would have expected the cable route would have been the most direct from outside to inside viz a straight line from outside to inside (unless you can confirm that the exit from the inner wall doesn't match the entry on the outer wall. (That's stop Smart-Aleks from tapping into the cable somewhere within the cavity and so bypassing the meter.)

Airbricks should not communicate with the cavity, should they?

Kind Regards, John
Ohhhh, should they not?

Personally I've never known them to be isolated, in fact there was a trend to place the inner skin vent higher than the outer to reduce chances of water ingress.
'Twas a total PITA when cavity foam injection became the height of fashion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back