Power or chemical flush?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to have a new combi boiler installed on a system which is 12 years old. as far as I'm aware an inhibitor has never been used on the system. When the expansion vessel was replaced 3 years ago the water was black, almost oily.

Any thoughts on whether a chemical clean or power flush would be best. £290 for power flush, but after having eight breakdowns in twelve years happy to pay if it might reduce future problems.

Also is Fernox can worth fitting on the system, how often does it need changing?

Sponsored Links
12 years. No inhibitor. I think you know the answer.

Powerflush.

Hope your rads are up to it.

Perhaps you didn't realise, but ch systems need inhibitor like cars need antifreeze. Putting the odd bottle in every few years would poss have saved the cost of a power flush and breakdowns on a youngish system.

Thanks - yes, we've learnt a lot in the last few days. The engineer we've used for nine years perhaps wasn't as good as we thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back