Power Shower 'motor' overheating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a power shower for about 4 years.

It has now developed a fault, in that it gives a normal power shower for no more than 5 minutes, then the pressure drops.

The 'motor' bit of the power shower is then hot to the touch, and gives off an overheating smell.

Is this a sign of a dying power shower? If so, do I need a whole new one, or can I just replace the motor?

Alternatively, is the unit water-cooled and could air in the unit cause this (I'm not an expert, as you can see). If so, can it be bled, like a radiator?

Thanks, as usual, any help.

Love

CJ

Sponsored Links
Is this just an electric shower unit or a fully pumped shower system?

It's an electric pump, in the airing cupboard, ie not an electrical unit attached to the shower wall, if that makes sense.

It is a 'Showermate 1.4 bar twin' model, if that helps,

Thanks

CJ

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the pump inlet filters & impeller chamber for debris (strip down required)? Air locks can also be a problem & you can bleed them but I would have thought any problem in the pipe system would have shown itself long before now. Could be the motor but if it's still running OK most likely a blockage, impeller problem or even the bearings could be knackered. If your up to it, it's worth stripping the pump, cleaning everything out, inspect & replace what's necessary, bleed the system & start over but one thing’s for sure, if you continue to run it as is, the motor will fry itself before too long!

If all else fails fit a new pump; it’s a bit like vacuum cleaners IMO, not worth replacing just the motor unless you can be 100% sure the rest of the pump is OK & there are no other problems.

As richard c said that type of pump isn't worth changing just the motor i thought you meant an electric power shower. ;)

Many thanks, seco and Richard C.

Will have a tentative attack with screwdriver, and once I've scared myself enough, will end up getting a new pump!

Thanks again,

CJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back