electric shower-more power!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Triton Rapide 4 electric shower and i think its 8.5kw. Well tonight i had to turn the temp up to 10 to get a decent temp! is the unit on its way out and how can i gain more power as im used to nice power showers!! Would a 10.5kw electric shower give me more power and better temp? Thanks :confused:

Sponsored Links
muckerd said:
I have a Triton Rapide 4 electric shower and i think its 8.5kw. Well tonight i had to turn the temp up to 10 to get a decent temp! is the unit on its way out and how can i gain more power as im used to nice power showers!!

Er, why not just replace the heat exchanger can?

muckerd said:
Would a 10.5kw electric shower give me more power and better temp? Thanks :confused:
Yes. Bear in mind that such work may be notifiable under Building Regulations Part P.

Good point. Are u sure about the building regs??? its only a shower :rolleyes:

muckerd said:
Good point. Are u sure about the building regs??? its only a shower :rolleyes:
More to the point, are you sure about the BRs? It's you that has to be sure!

The point about a shower is that it's in a "special place" in the context of Part P. If it's not a repair, or a like-for-like replacement, then I believe that it's notifiable, but your local BCO will advise you.

Sponsored Links
ok, but how would anyone know i upgraded the shower. As long as i have upgraded the power cable to match the power it sohould be safe enough..

cos youll be using the new harmonised cable colours and they know what date they started selling it in relation to the part p regs (unless youve got some of the old stuff of course!)

muckerd said:
ok, but how would anyone know i upgraded the shower. As long as i have upgraded the power cable to match the power it sohould be safe enough..
Is this a joke? You would know that you'd done it.

If you're asking me if it's OK to lie about it, then the answer, IMHO, is no. If you think it's OK to lie just because the risk of discovery is small, then you're on the wrong forum.

Softus said:
muckerd said:
If you're asking me if it's OK to lie about it, then the answer, IMHO, is no. If you think it's OK to lie just because the risk of discovery is small, then you're on the wrong forum.

Since when has this been a forum of morality? Live in the real world.

How many posts are there in this forum about fixing boilers? Most of them are ordinary people - not Corgi engineers - so they are performing illegal operations too. I'm sure they'd deny touching it if asked.

joe

joe-90 said:
Softus said:
muckerd said:

How many posts are there in this forum about fixing boilers? Most of them are ordinary people - not Corgi engineers - so they are performing illegal operations too. I'm sure they'd deny touching it if asked.
I'm sure that you're sure, but your opinion here doesn't have anything to do with anything. Surely you must have a flow switch to replace for somebody somewhere.

[quote="joe-90] Most of them are ordinary people - not Corgi engineers - so they are performing illegal operations too. [/quote]

This is not a necessary or sufficient judgement.

Joe , where you don't know the subject, best you don't post. :rolleyes:

muckerd - Sure an 11 kW shower is better than an 8.5, but only by, er, about 30%. A 24kW combi gives a good shower, a 35kW noticeably better, and so on. You can get a 8.5kW for well under £100 and the bigger ones are much more expensive but seem to last even less long. Not sure it's worth going up much - unless you find a cheap supply, in which case I'd suggest you buy another as a spare!

Now someone will find a 12kW for £60....

bathroomswap said:
Thermo said:
the new harmonised cable colours

Is this referring to the replacement of blue and brown with red and black ?
Strictly speaking, there is no replacement going on - it's the installation of new cable that has to take account of the new regulations.

Also, it's the red/black that's being phased out - I'm sure this was just a slip of the keyboard, but it's important to get it right.

You might find the overview at the following web site helpful: click here

Softus said:
joe-90 said:
Softus said:
muckerd said:

I'm sure that you're sure, but your opinion here doesn't have anything to do with anything. Surely you must have a flow switch to replace for somebody somewhere.

Live in the real world, mate. Perleezze.

isn't it the case that the shower is cooler because the water coming in is colder now? Therefore, no problem exists and you don't need to do anything. Except wait for the spring!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back