Power shower pump question

Bon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question.

I am about to install a pump for my new shower, however I have seen in some shower pump installation leaflets (not the MF I intend to use) that all the pipework should be run at low level, not high.

I had planned to run the pipes up out of the airing cupboard into the loft and then down into the cubicle as this is more convienient than pulling the floor boards up, however after seeing the aforementioned instructions I have started wondering if it will work!

My cold water cistern is in the airing cupboard (it is above the intended shower head though) and I am wondering if there will be sufficient (if any) flow available to start the flow switches if the pump is supplied from the cistern in the cupboard and the pipes run into the loft (i.e. because they will essentially be rising above the level of the cistern before turning horizontal and running through the loft to above the cubicle).

Hope that makes sense

Sponsored Links
If you install the pump above the cold water tank you will have real problems with airlocks. Without the head of water above the pump you will be allowing air to be drawn through.

Install the pump below the cold water tank (idealy next to the cylinder) then take the outlet supplies up into the loft.

Thanks for the advice.

I have always intended to mount the pump at the base of the hot water cylinder. My question was will the pump still start if the pipework runs above the level of the cistern.

If I fit check valves to the H & C supplies (if the pump doesn't have these fitted) would this stop the gravity of the water in the rising supply to the loft from stopping the flow switch in the pump for activating. My reckoning is that the pump's head will be flooded therefore it should activate?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back