Power shower Pump replacement questions (Mira ppt3)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping for some advice in these trying times.

I've got a Mira ppt3 power shower pump that has started leaking water. Its very old > 15years.
Its located at the end of my bath in near the shower. So I think its replacement time.

So I had a good google worked out I needed positive pressure pump and that something like a stuart turner 1.5 bar twin seems to be what other ppt3 owners went with (which does seem quite expensive but worth it?!)
https://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/product/monsoon-s1-5-bar-twin-46506

Now reading the data sheets I notice a few things I don't like:
2.23 Preferred pump location: The pump must, for optimum performance, be sited as close as possible to and never more than 4 metres from the HOT WATER cylinder.
Well using my tape measure I reckon I've got around 7m of 22mm pipe work from the hot water cylinder to the existing pump.

I'm not about to change all the pipes I'm hoping for a drop in replacement as much as possible...
Do all pumps have same length issue? Can someone advise a better replacement?

Also the apparently very expensive flexihoses provided have pushfit one end. As you can see from my pics I do not have that type of pipe work. Can I use the original flexipipes to old pump or is that not a good idea?

During lockdown is not best time to go without a shower ^_^

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• Mira_ppt3.jpg
    Mira_ppt3.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 334
Sponsored Links
Should also add the feed to pump is not dedicated. It is shared by the bath taps which also seems to be a nono.

Sponsored Links
Leaking from the rear of the unit.

I did some tests and determined its the cold water feed leaking somewhere inside the rear of the unit. I tried rigging a little drip tray and thought perhaps I can have a non-powered shower in mean time but flow is too much while running.
As part of the tests I did try to see flow amount with pump on and that also produced a burning electric smell so I turned that off quick.

From what I've read up I think; its the shaft seal? Unfortunately there are no spares for that on this type of pump.

Just washed my hair with a gravy jug ;)

Ty

Mira_ppt3_leak.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back