Power Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a bathroom makeover and had intended to replace our gravity shower over the new bath with a power shower. Plumber has suggested that given increased hot water consumption and the high price of gas, he would recommend a new gravity unit. I'd be grateful for members opinions.

Sponsored Links
Gravity showers tend to have a v poor performance by nature, they often only have a few feet of head of water to make them work.

I'd go power shower route if it were me, or even better, unvented cylinder if budget allows.

Power shower that's over head only is like standing under a jet wash. Gravity can be a bit underpowered. Pros and cons I guess

Sponsored Links
go for power shower its a no brainer sounds like he doesnt want the hassle of additional pipework

What do you want from the shower? Is the current gravity shower not strong enough for you? If not then there's 2 options, power shower ( looks like an electric shower, pump in the wall unit) or a shower pump that lives by the HW cylinder.

Do check that the size of the cold water cistern and the hot water cylinder is adequate.

Plumber has agreed to supply and fit a salamander 150 pump for £200-250. Price seems ok but does the pump?

OK so it's not a power shower then, rather a pumped shower. A Salamander 150 pump, cant say I've seen that model. Do you mean a CT50?

OK so it's not a power shower then, rather a pumped shower. A Salamander 150 pump, cant say I've seen that model. Do you mean a CT50?
Sorry misread the note. It's a CT150.
Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between a power shower and a pumped shower?

I'd look at the bigger picture..... if your boiler is old and may need replacing in the future, you may choose to replace with a combination boiler or a system that incorporates an unvented cylinder. If so the pump will be wasted money.

Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between a power shower and a pumped shower?
power shower ( looks like an electric shower, the pump is in the wall unit) or a shower pump that lives by the HW cylinder.

Maybe the ESP150?

Must agree with @HERTS P&D though, the ST pumps are much better quality IMO.

Any pump must be installed properly though, that's the trick - Installed properly - a lot of 'professionals' dont know how to do that.

I'd look at the bigger picture..... if your boiler is old and may need replacing in the future, you may choose to replace with a combination boiler or a system that incorporates an unvented cylinder. If so the pump will be wasted money.
The boiler, a Worcester, is just over 2 years old but don’t know if it incorporates an unvented cylinder. BTW, Mts B has decided tha she doesn’t want a unit on the shower wall and plumber is fine with the supplying of the ST pump.

That’s it then, problem solved! A pumped shower it is, driven by a Stuart Turner shower! Thanks for the input guys.

If you have the option of an unvented cylinder then do test and stear clear of pumps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back