Is a bath in a bathroom so important these days?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

We're thinking about giving our bathroom an extensive makeover and were wondering about replacing the bath with a really excellent high quality walk-in shower (we haven't got room for both).

Now I know that all the estate agents say that removing the bath will lower the resale value of the property, but is that really still the case these days, since an increasing amount of people seem to prefer showering to bathing?

We have thought about installing a shower bath, but if we were to do that it would be a compromise with a view to future resale.

We live in a typical semi-detached house in an area predominantly for families.

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions gratefully received.
Tony.

Sponsored Links
if you are considering selling in the future it`s probably the best to fit shower/bath for families etc, personally I have just ripped out my sons bedroom and made an En- suite for me and my lady, walk in Dog`s dangly bits. the full Monty, live once live it full. ;)

I would also say, play it safe & fit a shower bath, we have one + a large shower in our en-suite, both power showers with drencher heads. My wife, myself & my eldest daughter never use the bath but the other daughter (neither are now living with us) always insisted on having a bath & still does; no matter what how we tried we could never convince her. If it’s a family house, it’s gonna be s0ds law that one member of the next family who want to buy your house doesn’t like showers & so may go against you. It’s a question of not limiting your potential resale market & you can get some very good bath showers.

Sponsored Links
just remember you need to be around 8 to use a shower on your own

a bath is a definate with any kids

You live in an area which I see as very conservative and i expect many people there would expect to see a bath!

In London, particularly with a lot of europeans, I would only expect about 15% to be at all concerned about having no bath and i doubt it would have any significant effect on a sale.

In Devon I would advise to to keep a bath!

Tony

just remember you need to be around 8 to use a shower on your own a bath is a definate with any kids
I agree but assume the minimum age thing is opinion due to practical reasons or is there legislation?

We have the same problem but SWMBO insisted that a house needs at least one bath so we have bought a P shaped shower bath, for easy and convenient showers and the occasional bath. It's all about candles, scented foam, dreamy music and hours of soaking. Sorry.

Y`all know that No Where in the good ole US of A is there a bath in the bathroom. No Sir, they got tubs everywhere. Restrooms, Johns. Comfort breaks ,Pans painted on their vans, but no bath in "the bathroom"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back