Re-jigging part of bathroom - considerations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In view of the problems we've already had with the bathroom in the house we moved into last year, we're considering a partial re-jigging of the bathroom - refitting the bath and shower.

The house is a fairly typical 3-bed layout upstairs: two large bedrooms along the party wall; a smaller third bedroom (containing the boiler - which has just been condemned, but that's for a separate thread) and the bathroom (above the kitchen) on the outside wall and separated by the stairwell. Boiler is currently a condensing boiler - cylinder piping goes up into loft, across the stairwell and into the bathroom, so takes a long time for hot water to reach the bath.

In the bathroom, the length of the bath is along the back wall, and the over-bath shower on the side wall. The walk-in bath seems to have been fitted rather more recently than the shower system, we think. You can see something of the layout here:
There's a pump fitted under the free end of the bath, which we've also had some problems with:
Pump: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/growly-motor-noise-under-bath.624699/#post-5671356

We're thinking of possibly replacing the bath with an ordinary one, but still built-in/enclosed rather than free-standing. And the shower system certainly needs work (which we still haven't done) - put in a hand-held shower (with a long hose, so as to get it well past the curved shower screen) at the very least, possibly by replacing the bidet attachment; I'm not so worried about the rain shower, but suppose we need to keep it for resale value. We're wondering whether it might be a good idea simply replace the whole shower system with an electric one? I'm still a bit concerned about what we might find when we start messing around with the plumbing inside the wall.
Clicking: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...ing-noise-behind-bath-shower-controls.621888/

If anyone has any thoughts about these plans, I'd be glad to hear them, because getting my head round everything and all the possible options is very confusing at present. Please let me know what further information you might need.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back