Power steering fluid.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's never listed as a service requirement ( as far as I know) but do any of you guys change the fluid every few years?
I don't unless there has been rack maintenance but any comments welcome!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Unless its over 12 years old, or driven on a track (where the fluid gets very hot) I would not bother. And this is coming from somebody with car OCD.

I once changed it in an 8 year old 3 series and what came out, looked identical to the new stuff. Total waste of time and a pain to do as you had to keep flushing it through.

Friend with an 07 Fiesta ST changed the fluid as his steering was noisy and it did the trick.

I'm going to do the same on my Berlingo......10 years old now so it's Dextron 3 I think.
Can't do any harm!

Sponsored Links
Isn't it just a version of automatic gearbox fluid?

Unless it looks or smells different, e.g. due to overheating caused by a fault or abnormal use, I believe it has an indefinite life, though I had my current cat changed at ten years, and the filter. I haven't had many automatics, I think my previous one had some sort of repair and was refilled then.

Same with power steering, axles and manual boxes, I can only remember having new fluid or oil after a leak, repair, or replacement parts. I keep bottles on the shelf just in case and use it almost never.

edit
I just looked mine up on
http://www.shell.com/motorist/find-the-right-oil.html#iframe-L2diL2VuX0dCL2Jyb3dzZQ==
and it specifies the ATF, then for power steering it says "as for ATF." I did have to top it up to maintain the level while waiting for a leak on the pump to be fixed, hence I bought 500ml and still have most of it.

Last edited:
I bought 500ml and still have most of it.

Reminded me of the saying "I came into this world with nothing and I still have most of it left"

Isn't it just a version of automatic gearbox fluid?

Unless it looks or smells different, e.g. due to overheating caused by a fault or abnormal use, I believe it has an indefinite life, though I had my current cat changed at ten years, and the filter. I haven't had many automatics, I think my previous one had some sort of repair and was refilled then.

Same with power steering, axles and manual boxes, I can only remember having new fluid or oil after a leak, repair, or replacement parts. I keep bottles on the shelf just in case and use it almost never.

edit
I just looked mine up on
http://www.shell.com/motorist/find-the-right-oil.html#iframe-L2diL2VuX0dCL2Jyb3dzZQ==
and it specifies the ATF, then for power steering it says "as for ATF." I did have to top it up to maintain the level while waiting for a leak on the pump to be fixed, hence I bought 500ml and still have most of it.

PAS fluid and ATF are indeed the same, and as always there are differing qualities......Dextron 3 being the highest, if I recall.
I only change the diff / transfer box /oil on 4x4 vehicles, where it is specified - some of it comes out really black, too so I guess its worthwhile. Again as far as I know, all auto boxes have a fluid filter and magnets to catch any debris, which can only be a good thing.
I remember the days when most drain plugs were magnetic for the same reason - and I also recall most of a bearing coming out of a mini :eek:

I remember draining the gearbox on my 1973 Rover 3500s and it went glug glug plink as part of a synchro hub came out.

I sometimes do if its atf and I have some to hand, generally just suck most of it out and top up.
I don't know much about the modern power steering fluids you find in some cars that is usually green in colour.

The green stuff is actually less viscous than the red, and was introduced when electric power steering pumps became the norm.....it may be beneficial in continuous cold (arctic) weather.
They can be mixed, I'm told.

Sponsored Links
Back