Power steering fluid change - 2007 KA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1.3i model

The steering is rather heavy and when I dipped the fluid reservoir, its almost black in colour.

The P/S uses ATF fluid which is red so am I right in presuming the fluid needs changing?

What's the best way to change the P/S fluid on a KA?

Sponsored Links
By all means change the fluid and I reckon the best way is to drain the reservoir then top up again and repeat. This prevents fiddling with the rack connection which would definitely drain the system fully but it is a bit of a faff. For sure I'm not certain it will cure things but it is worth a try. Are the tyre pressures right?
John :)

Job done!

Found this article and just followed with my own ideas thrown in.

I took the reservoir off to give it a clean and took the plugs out to save the battery when cranking the engine to bleed the fluid through.

I only have hose pipe so duck taped a short length on the return pipe and held the collecting tub at the side of the car when cranking the engine (the ignition fuse removed).

I'd say the steering is still heavy but the owner can tell me better when she collects it.

I also WD40'd the universal joints on the column and rack joint.

Is the norm for the P/S to groan when on full lock (both sides)?

Sponsored Links
It seems P/S pumps are an eccentric rotor and vane type pump.

I'm thinking that if they're worn, the pump simply can't create enough pressure.

A pity pumps don't have a test port to screw in a gauge to see what the pressure is!

Usually rubber debris from oil seals, although the same can occur if the oil is overheated.
Much less common with the electrical systems, I've found but to be honest I rarely change it anyway

My incentive for changing the fluid was the article I read where they reckoned it solved the heavy steering and that it looked dirty.

If its a seal that has disintegrated causing the dirty fluid, then said seal could be the problem of fluid not being controlled properly so the pressure's getting to both sides together!

..... or perhaps just a lack of pressure.

The P/S does work but its just that bit too heavy!

So really, a valve and rack strip down (pump too perhaps) to identify the culprit if the steering gets worse.

An interesting video!

A Ka with power steering can't be that heavy. You should try my 1973 Rover P6 3500 without PAS. Now that is heavy!
A friend had a 2007 Fiesta 2 litre (ST?) and we changed the PAS fluid on that. I don't recall if that was an electric pump. I think the pump was noisy and Ford recommended a different fluid which did the trick.

The fluid spec for the KA P/S is ATF Q3.

The KA steering may be that bit heavy by default, its the only one I've driven.

By comparison to an i20 and a Bora TDI, its heavy.

The owner collects it today so I'll get her opinion.

Last edited:
If things need to be done, an exchange rack is the way to go. ....stiffness is usually due to tyre pressure or strut top bearings but I seem to remember they are a ball race on these.

Well the fluid change is the only thing I did.

General wear in the P/S, tiny bits of metal and rubber causing the fluid to get dirty and loose its qualities.

Since there is wear, the system is not at its best, but the new fluid has revived it somewhat.

I'll keep tabs on it and see how long it takes the fluid to get dirty again.

For sure, it's a good move to remove the various contaminants and other grot that was suspended in the fluid but I think it's really only the viscosity of the fluid that would have made any difference. Interesting!

Sponsored Links
Back