Heavy steering on KA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2007 1.3i

Fluid level is right.
Track rod ends aren't seized - disconnected them and seem free enough.
Tyres are at the right pressure.

Took the car for test drive after servicing it and for a small car, the steering, in my opinion, is heavy.

One thing I've noticed that on full lock, both ways, there's a groaning which will be the pump I presume.

The pump is on the way out perhaps?

Sponsored Links
One way to check the P.A.S for sure......try coasting and steering the car with the engine off - it will be very hard to turn the wheel indeed!
John :)

If there's a groaning on full lock, check the CV joints as well.

Sponsored Links
raise both wheels off the road, and then see how it feels with engine off and with engine running

My daughter in Law has one and says he same about the steering - so may be normal - as is rust

The condition of the front tyres can have a marked effect on the steering, as the tread wears down the steering gets heavier, also the type of tyres makes a lot of difference.

Many years ago my mother bought a Peugeot 205, she liked the car but complained about the heaviness of the steering, no PAS on that one and even I found it heavy, I went to my friendly local tyre supplier and asked if I could see all the tyres of that size, I checked each one by pressing my thumbs into the centre of the tread to find the most supple, they were duly fitted and completely transformed the car.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back