Carina Leanburn E power steering, and window wiper removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I drove my car today and just as I was pulling away I noticed the steering was stiff. I guess that means the power steering fluid is low? Can anyone confirm?

Also I got new universal window wiper blades. They're the right size and look like they'll go on easily enough. I'm worried about taking the old ones off? Can anyone advise the simplest way without breaking anything? Is there instructions anywhere?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
While you are under the bonnet, just check to see that the PAS belt is still there....
As for the wiper blades, pull them clear of the screen, squeeze the end that clips onto the wiper arm and they should pull clear. When refitting, use the original clip / swivel that the old blade had if you can. Do one blade at a time.
Wiper blades are very expensive for what they are....nowadays I just fit new rubbers for a fraction of the price and they work just fine.
John :)

Hi John. Thanks for the help. PAS belt? Not sure what it is? In fact I'm not sure about Power Steering at all. It's something I've never had to deal with fixing before. I can say that once the car got going the power steering was working fine again? SO it could be just low fluid? Is there a particular brand of fluid I should get for a 97 leanbrn or is it just standard?

If the PAS has now come back to life, the belt to the pump is definitely there - but its a good idea to check its tension anyway. I'm wondering if you had parked the car on full lock before this happened?
Usually the top up fluid is Castrol TQF or equivalent, and there will be a top up bottle with the ideal level marked on.
Its unusual for PAS to fail quickly...if the fluid is getting low then there is often a notchy feel to the steering - there isn't a service interval for the stuff to be changed usually, so if the level is low, check for any leaks.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. Got the wiper blades sorted too which was a great help.

Back