Power supply for 12v 10w fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I hope someone can advise.

I have a 12v 10w fan which runs constantly to push air into an A/V rack.

The power supply which came with it appears to have died, the fuse didn't trigger in the IEC kettle lead so it is just the AC adapter.

The sticker came off a long time ago.

Would a 12v 5a ac adapter be ok?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes 12 volt 5 amp is well over what is needed, routers and printers often used 12 volt 1 amp (12 watt) which would be ample. But question is AC or DC supply, and does the frequency matter, loads of lighting transformers but the electronic type often output in khz range not 50 Hz.

The fan says DC 12V.

I have found a 12 3amp and googling similar fans (essentially a PC/Server fan), the amp draw is minimal, 0.1 and 0.3 range...

Thank you for your help on this!

This is a 5amp but there are plenty of 3amp versions also.

AC DC 12V 5A Power Supply Adapter Charger For 3528 5050 LED Strip Light CCTV DVR | eBay

looks like it would do the job, just wondered if getting more amps meant more speed but it seems amps are just there for umph when required.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
i've usually got a box of old 12v power bricks floating around from random old bits of kit... do most people not have similar?

Sponsored Links
The fan says DC 12V. .... This is a 5amp but there are plenty of 3amp versions also.
AC DC 12V 5A Power Supply Adapter Charger For 3528 5050 LED Strip Light CCTV DVR | eBay
looks like it would do the job, just wondered if getting more amps meant more speed but it seems amps are just there for umph when required.
The fan will only draw the amount of current it requires - for a 12V 10A fan , that will be about 0.8A - so any power supply capable of 1 amp of more would do the job. No matter how much more current the power supply 'can' supply, the fan will not take any more - so there is no advantage (and no disadvantage) of having an 'over-rated' power supply.

In other words, a 3A one would be more than enough for your purpose. Just make sure that you get one with a 12V DC output.

Kind Regards, John

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back