Power Supply To Workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The inherent power supply in my workshop requires replacement? I believe from reading threads in these forums that what has previously been installed (not by me) is inadequate or just wrong? So from a 13amp fused spur inside the house, an SWA is connected to a plastic consumer unit in the shop. So is it the case that the consumer unit in this situation is pointless as the fuse in the spur will be first to react? I am open to changing to a direct connection to the main consumer unit and then to an appropriate metal-clad unit in the shop. As ever any advice will be valued Marcus.

Sponsored Links
Whilst waiting for a pro to correct me, my thoughts would be:

I dont think discrimination is relevant with fuse overload protection as it is with rcd.

My guess is that the 13a fuse may blow first in an overload situation because the voltage drop would, I guess mean a higher current draw at the house end.

The existing 13a fuse needs to protect the cable run -so the cable size would need to be able to cope safely with more than 13a (length is also a factor).

I suppose if your house CU is rcd then you wouldnt need one in the workshop, but if it isnt, then maybe the workshop CU could have rcd protection....

As an aside, with the new rules relating to metal consumer units, I have wondered if the metal could be subject to condensation in cold garages or sheds....just a thought.

My guess is that the 13a fuse may blow first in an overload situation because the voltage drop would, I guess mean a higher current draw at the house end.

Current in = current out

(@op - I think there is a very long list of questions to answer first. Don't have time to write them out now, but there is no quick answer.)

Marcus, can you identify the current use in your workshop?
What sort of equipment are you using?

What is the current arrangement?

How far from the house is the workshop?

Sponsored Links
then maybe the workshop CU could have rcd protection....

If the supply to the workshop is fed through the main RCD in the house then :-

(1) a fault in the workshop that trips the house RCD will leave the house without power or lights.
(2) a fault in the house that trips the house RCD will leave the workshop without power or lights.

Plunging a work shop into sudden darkness is a serious hazard. Rotating equipment ( saws, drills, angle grinders etc etc ) do not stop instantly when their power is shut off.

Feed the shed from it's own MCB and RCD ( or combined in an RCBO ) in the house

I guess mean a higher current draw at the house end.
Current is the same at all points along a single loop circuit

Marcus, can you identify the current use in your workshop?
What sort of equipment are you using?

What is the current arrangement?

How far from the house is the workshop?

So the usage would be for power tools and lawnmower etc. There are 3 bayonet light fittings, 1 outside light and 3 double sockets. 12 metres from the house.

Current in = current out

Current is the same at all points along a single loop circuit

Of course (y)

Voltage drop over the length of the cable is I guess due to power loss due to cable resistance, so whilst the power output at the end is the less than the start, the current is the same.
The number of electron movements is the same both ends?

So I have managed to find a sparky who will quote me tomorrow morning. I wanted to be at least armed with some info before then! As ever I appreciate all the responses and advice.

Further issues have developed. So a new metal clad consumer unit was fitted and connected up and immediately blew the fuse in the spur and tripped the main RCD. The sparky I used is claiming it's the SWA which must be damaged? He is insisting that it needs replacing? I am not convinced as I have checked the continuity and all is ok. Can I do anything else to check the cable before I agree to it being replaced?

So a new metal clad consumer unit was fitted and connected up and immediately blew the fuse in the spur and tripped the main RCD.
Picture of this new CU, including the wiring inside ?

If the SWA was damaged, they should have found out long before any power was applied to it.

Picture of this new CU, including the wiring inside ?

If the SWA was damaged, they should have found out long before any power was applied to it.
No problem I can add a photo tomorrow. I am not sure what checks he carried out? I just left him to it! Everything worked attached to the plastic CU however a gland wasn't used! So the changes were metal clad CU and this was attached with a gland.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back