Power to a Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a wooden shed and it sits approx. 4 feet from a boiler house, inside which is 2 sockets and obviously, power.

The power goes to the boiler house when the heating is switched on inside the house and so power can be taken to the shed via the sockets.

Armoured cable runs from the house to the boiler house.

I want to have power in my shed and make use of the existing power supply to the boiler rather than run another cable underground and without having to turn the heating on.

Is this possible?

thanks

Barry

Sponsored Links
If the two sockets are powered internally under heating controls, then your answer would likely be, you need to power the shed via other means.

But would depend the circuit configuration and any loading issues.

OK. Basic questions first.

What do you want to power in the shed? Just a light an a socket for occassional use, or do you want heating, engine hoist, sauna and an electric shower?

This supply to the boiler house. How does this connect in the house? Is this to the consumer unit, or is there a fused switch? Surely the sockets in the boiler house are powered all the time, not just when the heating is on?

Thanks for the reply.

I want to power a light or two and charge some power tools, run some power tools. Use is occasional.

the sockets in the boiler are only powered when the heating is on via the timer unit in the house. I tested this.
These sockets then run the boiler. Its a newish condensor warmflo boiler.
The timer unit goes back to a consumer unit.

Thanks

Barry

Sponsored Links
Ahh, OK so it sounds like the wiring has been put there only to support the boiler itself.

As PrenticeBoy said, you will not be able to add sockets and lights to the existing. A new feed to the man cave will be needed.

Can I run a fused spur from an existing socket, run the cable outside in suitable conduit and terminate in the shed to twenty amp double pole switch and hook an extension cable into it to give my sockets and hook a 3 amp fused switch into it for my light?

What route would the conduit take? Would it provide enough protection to the cable?

And why a 20A switch in the shed? Why any switch at all, actually?

Conduit underground.

20 amp switch - safety. Not needed?
I can hook an extension cable directly to the wire from the fused spur?

Conduit underground.
shake%20head.gif

Use armoured cable.

20 amp switch - safety. Not needed?
What danger(s) do you think a switch would prevent?

I can hook an extension cable directly to the wire from the fused spur?
I'm going to have to ask what you mean by "extension cable", and "hook".

I fear that your general understanding of electrical installation matters is insufficient.

I will run the wire from the fused spur to a weather proof external junction box and take armoured wire underground. I was hoping cable in a pvc conduit would suffice?
When I say hook, i would wire a multi socket extension to the armoured cable when it arrives in the shed.

i could, just I have a multi socket extension and would have to buy sockets. thats it really

i could, just I have a multi socket extension and would have to buy sockets. thats it really
False economy.
The armoured cable would need to be terminated in a proper gland. This gland would need to go into a box before it went to your multi socket extension.

Your better course would be to run the gland directly into one of these
ae235

They are less than a fiver each at Screwyfix.

Then plug your extension socket in to it, if you need more outlets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back