Power to a Shed

1.5mm would be sufficient on a 13A FCU over that distance, but nothing wrong with 2.5mm if you wanted to use it, should you want to upgrade the supply at a later date

Sponsored Links
The power goes to the boiler house when the heating is switched on inside the house

If I'm reading it correctly you have:

CU --> T+E --> Timer --> T+E --> Junction box --> Armored --> Sockets

I assume the armored is not terminated directly in the timer!?

Can you not do:

CU --> T+E --> Junction box --> Armored --> CU in boiler house --> socket/lighting/heating circuits

Then use a wireless stat/timer to control the heating.

What size and how many conductors in the armored?

?

Sponsored Links
Can you not do:

CU --> T+E --> Junction box --> Armored --> CU in boiler house --> socket/lighting/heating circuits

Then use a wireless stat/timer to control the heating.
o_O
  1. Leave the boiler wiring alone.
  2. Run a supply to the shed which has nothing to do with the boiler wiring.
  3. Sorted.

its more an access issue. The armoured cable will not be terminated to the timer but the timer is in a solid wall and where the armoured cable enters the house is behind a structure I'd rather not tear at.
Running a spur from a socket in a stud wall close to the outside wall would be easier. I was originally hoping to do something where the cable arrived in the boiler but its not to be.

@ban-all-sheds. Not saying you're wrong, but:

4. Dig up the ground (which may be solid) to run the new armored or surface mount it and have it look cack

Which he is going to have to do anyway - it's not more sockets in the boiler house he wants, it's sockets and lights in a detached shed.

The shed is 4 ft. from the boiler house. How far is the shed from the house? If also 4 ft. then I agree it's not difference. But if it's 20 ft.... bit more digging to do! :)

Last edited:
that is what I am doing. run a spur from a wall socket close to the outside wall, take it out to a junction box, armoured cable underground to shed.
Shed is about 8 feet from where the cable will exit the house..

That's fine. You do know that the shed will not be able to run more than 13A in that case?

Out of interest, where is the CU in relation to where you're planning to put the FCU (spur)?

CU is about 7-8 feet from the spur.
I doubt I would ever need more than 13 amps. A kettle if I am lucky, charging power tools, running power tools and a light or two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back