Power to detached garage when no spare way in house CU?

So, it looks like a plan could be:
* Upgrade MCB to 20A.
* Connect garage cable (2.5 T+E) to socket underneath CU.
* Cable into garage feeds 2 or 3 double sockets. (Radial circuit).
* FCU off one of the sockets for lights.
Oh, I didn't mention there'd be a 130W fridge freezer in there too. That'll be the only device on 24/7. As I said earlier, the only other equipment being used will be lawnmower, power tools, charging batteries and LED decking lights - and not all at the same time.
That all sounds pretty reasonable, assuming that the cable to the garage is in satisfactory condition. With the sort of loads you're talking about, you probably wouldn't need to upgrade the MCB, but it would give you that 4A (a bit under 1,000W) of theoretical extra capacity if you ever needed it. 16A equates to 3.680W at 230V, 20A to 4,600W.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I guess this means the garage consumer unit my father bought on my behalf can be returned to him. :D

Thanks for all your help John and others.

Edit: I've just been inspecting the cable in the garage and it looks like it needs stripping back to before the break in insulation.

What would be the correct way to approach this? Terminate in a junction box and then use regular T&E from that?

Sorry to bump, but I'd like to know if this is work I can legally do, or do I need to get someone in?

I was going to connect this cable to a metal clad, 2 gang, double pole socket - but then I found the splits in the outer insulation. I'm assuming simply wrapping it in insulating tape would be a no-no? ;) Then the way the cable is terminated complicated matters for me, with regard to cutting the cable and 're-terminating' it.

At the moment, the earth cable doesn't go anywhere (in case the picture made you wonder).

Sponsored Links
Edit: I've just been inspecting the cable in the garage and it looks like it needs stripping back to before the break in insulation. What would be the correct way to approach this? ...
Sorry to bump, but I'd like to know if this is work I can legally do, or do I need to get someone in? ... I was going to connect this cable to a metal clad, 2 gang, double pole socket - but then I found the splits in the outer insulation. I'm assuming simply wrapping it in insulating tape would be a no-no? ;) Then the way the cable is terminated complicated matters for me, with regard to cutting the cable and 're-terminating' it. ... At the moment, the earth cable doesn't go anywhere (in case the picture made you wonder).
My goodness - I'm not surprised that your electrician was not willing to connect that garage circuit to the new CU!!

I really think you need an electrician!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back