Power to my Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to get power to my shed for a single light and a socket. I have a consumer unit in my garage which is about 4 meters away.
I cannot put the cable below ground as I have a nice block paved drive and don't fancy facing the Wrath if I dig it up.

How can I do this please.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Block paving is better to dig up than concrete. ;) It can be put back as it was, and you'll never know it was up.

But you can go overhead - with a catenary wire and some form of armoured cable. There are numerous posts on providing power to sheds on the forum. Search.

Thanks but was wondering if I had to go down the armoured cable route. Seems a bit of overkill with glands etc.

Is there a reasonably tough flex waterproof type cable that I could use?

you could use 2.5mm 3-core Artic flex or HiTuff on a catenary wire. If you only need a light and socket in the shed then it could be supplied from a fused spur in the garage then into a DP switch in the shed feeding a socket and a switched fused spur at 3a for the light.

Sponsored Links
Hituf is more hassle than SWA.

And whatever you use, you'll still need glands - OK, maybe only compression ones, but so what? Armoured glands are not hard to work with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back