Power to shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

i bought my first house late last year and now the weathers turning nice(ish) it's time to sort out the garden. i'm buying my shed soon and want some power for it; so in the garden already there is this.......

which i believe was used when the guy before us had a caravan in the garden.

So in order to get power into the shed for a mini fridge, maybe some kind of hi-fi/speaker system and possibly some sort of light/led strip; would this be the kind of thing i'd need in order to plug into the power outlet that's on the wall, then trail the cable along in the flower bed which will be full of pebbly gravely stones, then into the shed where i can plug said items into?

basically is this what i need? is it safe to use these appliances on it? do i need more waterproof boxes for any of it? obviously it won't be used that often, just for bbqs or whenever we can get out there really.

also is it possible for these to be taken apart so i can get the plug socket end actually into the shed?

any light shedding is much appreciated, cheers!

Sponsored Links
Yes it will do the job, but may be more than you need, unless your going to go camping and want it for that as well. What you need to do is find where it is fed from and see if there is already RCD protection, if so then you don't need a second one, if not then what you are looking at is A1. Without a RCD you are looking at around £10 so you really need to find out.

Yes it will do the job, but may be more than you need, unless your going to go camping and want it for that as well. What you need to do is find where it is fed from and see if there is already RCD protection, if so then you don't need a second one, if not then what you are looking at is A1. Without a RCD you are looking at around £10 so you really need to find out.

so i'm guessing it's fed from the main fuse box within the house but can't be certain, either that or straight into the external power box as that has trip switch fuses in it as well by the looks of it so could be either. is that what you mean by RCD protection?

no won't be using this for camping, purely for the garden and shed feed.

if this is a bit over-spec for what i need, what is the technical name of the cable/lead that i want? as googling stuff has thrown up so many random cables that don't look right.

ae235
note the yellow test button, you need to look on your consumer unit and see if one is already fitted this one
ae235
has two fitted and all things in the house are RCD protected, others may have only some items in the house protected. It does need testing over the years the requirements have changed, caravans and boats in sites and marinas is the only place where two RCD's are fitted one feeding the other, mainly because you can't be sure there is one fitted on every site so they double up just in case, marinas are a special case because of the earth system and you don't need to know.

However I can see when the owner knows there is a RCD in the caravan that they may miss fitting one at home, it should be fitted but that does not mean it is.

Sponsored Links
just looked at the fuse box inside the house, theres two of these, albeit white, buttons and a label underneath saying 'RCCB protected circuits'

trail the cable along in the flower bed
No.

The cable should be of a type, and installed in such a way, as to be resistant to damage.

The usual way is to use armoured cable buried at least 45 cm deep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back