Power Tripped Twice Since Changing Socket

That noise you can hear is Kirchoff spinning in his grave ;)
Is does seem that way, although some propose additional paths (through capacitance to earth, particularly during high frequency switching transients) which would keep Mr Kirchoff happy, yet still allowing an L-N current difference to exist.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
So it could be another frustrating few days then! There is an extension lead plugged in so it might be that. It might be the socket.

Its just annoying how it doesnt seem to happen until during the day. I switched everything back on at 6ish last night and everything is still on now (like previous nights) but chances are, when i get home later it will all be off again.

Then i will have to try without the extension, wait a day.

Try different plug, wait a day.

Frustrating!

I did think of that, but it doesnt trip when it kicks in in the morning.

Regarding the socket does it matter if i have single or double pole? If not then if i do need a new socket then I'll try a single

Sponsored Links
Well, yes it does, if you have a SP and you suspect a faulty appliance you must unplug the appliance to disconnect and remove the possibility of a earth neutral fault. If you have a DP the appliance can be left plugged in and switched off.

Regards,

DS

Single or double pole refers to the switch, and will make no difference to your problem.

I understand that, but its all happened since changing the socket, i believe from a single pole. The actual cable is 'plastered' into the wall, by thay i mean it doesnt pull through any more than it eas previously so im dealing with the same lengths of cable that came out of the old socket, if that makes sense. So its not like ive pulled more cable into the box and getting it trapped.

Power was off when i got in again today so ive decide to put the old one back in for now hoping the new socket is a dud.

Not sure if i mentioned, but the DP socket was always switched off at whichever point the power is cutting off during the day

I understand that, but its all happened since changing the socket, i believe from a single pole. The actual cable is 'plastered' into the wall, by thay i mean it doesnt pull through any more than it eas previously so im dealing with the same lengths of cable that came out of the old socket, if that makes sense. So its not like ive pulled more cable into the box and getting it trapped.
I suspect that you've damaged the cable, if there's no slack in it. Are you sure the insulation hasn't been cut by the edge of the backbox?

Well, yes it does, if you have a SP and you suspect a faulty appliance you must unplug the appliance to disconnect and remove the possibility of a earth neutral fault. If you have a DP the appliance can be left plugged in and switched off.
All true - but pulling the plug out is not beyond the capabilities of most people, even DIYers :)

Kind Regards, John

Ok, so gone a day now without the power tripping since putting the old sing pole socket back on. Think i will just leave it alone for the time being.

Out of interest though, does this simply point to a dodgy new socket? Or can the double pole have something to do with it? Bearing in mind both switches have remained turned off throughout

Did the earth wires have a green/yellow sleeve over them, or were they bare copper?

Any sharp edges where the cable enters the back box? A black rubber grommet may be in place, which prevents damage to the cable.

Wires going in correct terminals?

Send a picture of the new socket wired up.

Did the earth wires have a green/yellow sleeve over them, or were they bare copper?

Any sharp edges where the cable enters the back box? A black rubber grommet may be in place, which prevents damage to the cable.

Wires going in correct terminals?

Send a picture of the new socket wired up.

Earth wires are sleeved
No sharp edges, clean entry
Wires in correct terminals, im well aware of which needs to go where

Out of interest, what make is the new socket?

Is it particularly chunky at the back?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back