Power Tripping After Security Light Moved

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we are in the process of having a conservatory built and yesterday i removed the outdoor security light as its in a position that will later be inside the conservatory.

The light was connected to a single one way switch just inside the door so all i did was unscrew the live wire of the light cable from the switch and took the neutral out of the block connector. So the switch itself is still wired up but switch is set to off.

Regarding the light, i attached a plug to it and have it plugged in to the shed now.

Later on last night the power tripped and woke up this morning and the powers off again.

Any suggestions on what it will be and what to do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you mean on the existing connection within the switch or on the new light?

For the switch, i didnt do anything with the mains feed wires, i just took out the output wires going to the light.

I could look again though just to check,the neutral is definately still in a connector block though.

i just took out the output wires going to the light.
Yes, but the switch connections will probably be just the live ones. You may have left the neutral connected and that will trip the RCD if water etc gets on it.
What have you done to insulate the wires that were attached to the light (I guess sticking out of the wall?)

Sponsored Links
i just took out the output wires going to the light.
Yes, but the switch connections will probably be just the live ones. You may have left the neutral connected and that will trip the RCD if water etc gets on it.
What have you done to insulate the wires that were attached to the light (I guess sticking out of the wall?)

No, i definately took the live out of the switch and the neutral out of the connection block.

This wall switch is purely for the outside light,the cable i have disconnected from the switch and light goes nowhere else,its now some a piece of cable stuck in the wall. Done nothing with the wires outside other than tape them up

What you describe sounds reasonable.

Are you certain you have disconnected the load cable and not the feed cable?

Is it possible you have left the feed neutral jost poking out of the connector block so it just touches the back box/earth?

Could something else have caused the tripping?

What actually did trip?

Pictures of everything you have worked on would be welcome if possible.

What you describe sounds reasonable.

Are you certain you have disconnected the load cable and not the feed cable?

Is it possible you have left the feed neutral jost poking out of the connector block so it just touches the back box/earth?

Could something else have caused the tripping?

What actually did trip?

Pictures of everything you have worked on would be welcome if possible.

Might sound daft but how do i check what actually tripped? In the consumer unit it was the main bit that tripped not one specific

Anyway, slight bit of embarrassment on my part here, i took the switch off again earlier and noticed that id put it back on upside down, so when im thinking its switched off it was actually switched on! Haha. Anyway, should it still be tripping if the switch is on but nothing connected to it? It make more sense in a way.

Ill see if it goes off again today i think beforw trying anything else

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back