Wiring an External Security Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an external security light which has been wired into my conservatory light switch. However, the switch was a 'Dimmer' switch which I have now changed for a on/off bar switch.

The Security Light only comes on now when I have the conservatory light switched on. What have I done wrong?

Sponsored Links
You have connected the security light's live to the switched-live side of the switch.

Do you not want to be able to isolate/switch your security light independently? It sounds like it was completely unswitched before...

You have connected the security light's live to the switched-live side of the switch.

Do you not want to be able to isolate/switch your security light independently? It sounds like it was completely unswitched before...

Hi, Thankds for getting back to me as this is a little frustrating. I have 3 red wires that were connected to the dimmer switch of which one was the PIR light. In the switch I have L1 and Com and looks like I have wired up the PIR to the wron one. Which should the pir go into, the L1 or the Com?

Sponsored Links
If the PIR light is switched right now, and you want it unswitched, then connect the PIR's live to the other switch terminal.

(It's impossible to guess whether you have permanent live on COM or L1.
Usually, COM is used as the permanent live and L1 as the switched live to the light fittings, but it needn't be so.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back