Can't switch conservatory light on without....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
......also switching kitchen light on.

Morning all,

random one this morning.

Double light switch on kitchen wall.
This wall backs onto the conservatory, on which there is a light fitting.

The kitchen lights come on when operating one of the switches.

The conservatory light only comes on when the kitchen lights are also on, and when operating the other of the two switches.

In other words, I can have:

- both kitchen and conservatory lights off
- the kitchen lights only on
- both kitchen and conservatory lights on

but no current option for having the conservatory lights only, on.

Is this correctly wired up (I presume not)?

Is this easily remedied?
If so, how?

TIA :)

Sponsored Links
It is possible that the conservatory 'un-switched' supply is actually a 'switched' supply by being incorrectly connected to the "output" of the kitchen switch rather than it's "input" terminal. Fairly easily rectified but a photograph of the switch connections is essential if you want explicit instructions

Has this just started happening? If so, was any electrical work done recently?
Or has it always been like that?

Has this just started happening? If so, was any electrical work done recently?
Or has it always been like that?

Always.
No work done in the ten-plus years we've been in; like I said, a random thought this morning (delaying the starting of a tedious bit of (paid) work!)

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me that the live from the kitchen to the conservatory has been picked up from the switched live of the kitchen instead of the incoming live.
Though as I'm not an electrician I could be wrong.
How many reds from the T&E are in the terminal that the kitchen LAMP brown wire is connected to? There should only be one, if there are two then I think the feed to the conservatory is in the wrong position.

Update (but no photos yet):

I've just been reading up on light switches on t'interweb, and have failed to include (what may be a vital) piece on info from my original post :notworthy:

The kitchen lights can be switched on from either a switch on the kitchen-to-dining room wall (one-gang), or the kitchen-to-conservatory wall (two-gang).
(Does this then make the switch(es) two-way?)

Hope this doesn't make any potential solutions too difficult :unsure:

(Does this then make the switch(es) two-way?)
Ifyou can switch on from one switch and off from the other (and vice versa) they probably are wired as two way.

Need pics of the wiring of the two switches as well.

BTW. The two gang switch, what does the other gang control?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back